• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haldex PURest™ Air Dryer upgrade

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a few threads on this going back to a previous era in human history. But I distilled that this PURest dryer is the upgrade to do. (I still have the original A1 unit).
So Just a clarification, there's only 2 part numbers with a 24v heater. Do I want the left hand port or right hand port? DA34110 or DA34310

50A9441F-CD4E-4FFD-8DC5-1ADC2C26534A.jpeg6FF8A7DC-DC15-4CCD-B697-77BD6B3A1386.jpeg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get one of these - they are surplus units that are brand new but were sent to surplus due to having the older 150 psi relief valve. These come with the mounting bracket that matches the holes in your frame. It's a super easy swap.

And here's the "new" 175 psi relief valve:

It takes 20 seconds to swap it.

And yeah - it's the exact same dryer used in the FMTV (and various MRAP applications including the M-ATV that uses the 370 HP C7). I have one from this seller on my truck due to mine having a factory casting flaw (on the secondary 235psi valve seat) that I detailed in another thread.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get one of these - they are surplus units that are brand new but were sent to surplus due to having the older 150 psi relief valve. These come with the mounting bracket that matches the holes in your frame. It's a super easy swap.

And here's the "new" 175 psi relief valve:

It takes 20 seconds to swap it.

And yeah - it's the exact same dryer used in the FMTV (and various MRAP applications including the M-ATV that uses the 370 HP C7). I have one from this seller on my truck due to mine having a factory casting flaw (on the secondary 235psi valve seat) that I detailed in another thread.
Thank you kindly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go with an AD9 unit. They are more common and cheaper to find parts for locally. Purest units are decent but discontinued years ago for the most part.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bendix AD9 is cheaper with many Chinese knock offs on the market as well. It has a lower SCFM rating, and only a single desiccant type. Servicing it will require removing if from the truck and is at least a 45 minute to 1 hour job.

The PURest dryer has a five stage desiccant cartridge, has higher SCFM capacity, and servicing it is done on the truck and takes about 10 minutes (if that).

The military specified it for reasons. Yes it's more expensive. It's also better and faster to service.

Both can work. The PURest is common in the surplus world and thus isn't much difference in price vs. a non-Chinese AD9. And NAPA has the PURest dryer cartridges as well as any fleet supply. It's not uncommon on trucks and RV coaches, etc so I wouldn't be worried about finding parts for it.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's 1 on bay and I lasso'd it, and the 175 relief. Seems like there are lots of options for these devices across commercial trucking, but I'm tired of drilling new holes and fabricating brackets. Plug and play would be a welcomed change. I'm fresh out of bracket-manufacturing-energy after this exhaust reroute job.

Skyhawk13205

Call me colt has a good video of the install, when I put mine in I had trouble with the braided steel line, I have the arctic heater kit so the unit is in front of it and it was hard to access.68DA5819-85F8-40D0-B915-097784F9075C.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks