• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

handbrake band rubbing

Gunfreak25

I checked the handbrake band on my 211 and noticed looks like it's constantly squeezed around the drum, isn't it supposed to retract when disengaged? There is also no resistance at all when pulling the hand brake lever up to engage. Is this normal?

YkDave

it should loosen up a bit when the brake is disengaged, not alot, but enough that you should be able to see a slight gap right around the band and their should be absolutely no resistance from the band when moving the drum

When setting the brake, their should be a little resistance (just the return springs)and the brake should be tight long before the brake handle reaches its full stroke.

Gunfreak25

Nope! My band is indeed TIGHT against the drum with no gap at all. Which explains why there's no resistance in the hand lever, the band is not retracting at all for some reason. Couldn't be rusted to the drum because I know the truck has been driven at least 5 miles with it like this.

I do see the coil return springs on a long bolt but it's real loose. Lots of play. Wonder why the band is sticking?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes the cable gets stuck in its sheath. Might try CHOCKING THE WHEELS first, then release the parking brake and tap the top away from the "bell".

Gunfreak25

It appears the top band isn't stuck, it has slight gap between it and the drum. It's the bottom part band that is stuck. I checked the return springs and only the bottom spring is intact. The other 2 springs above it are rusted and broken. Tried pulling the bottom band down and no luck.

Can anyone snap a picture of their brake band?

butch atkins

there is no cable on the parking brake on these trucks .TM 9-8024,pgs 466-470 will tell you how to adjust this problem ,sounds like it was driven with the parking brake on ,really easy to do, voice of experience speaking ,smell will give it away,READ EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING,really easy to over adjust,burnup parking brake band,SIS [self inflicted stupidity] been there ,done that.

Gunfreak25

I have not driven the truck yet myself, only through the alley for about 50 feet. It's the yahoo's before me who did most of the stuff to it.

Last edited:

littlebob

Gimpyrob's link might help, even though he said it was for the M35. My pivot points on my M35 were frozen solid when I got it. It took a lot of penetrating oil, heat and pounding to get everything apart, cleaned and lubed up.

Gunfreak25

All 3 of my return springs were broken and thats why the hand brake was not working. The band was very floppy and was barely touching the drum, the lining is still in great shape so it must have not been used much. I just need some new springs to get it working.

Is the handbrake lever supposed to be bent or be 100% straight? Mine is quite crooked and I was going to hammer it back to shape as it does not engage the floor catch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks