• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello From Texas

Jdj211

We are in a rural area and have 2 homes on our land. Additionally, everything in our homes is electric, no NG or propane. In the winter with our resistive heating kicked in we can get north of 20kW peak conditions for one home if intermittent loads hit at the same time. Luckily the newer home has a much more efficient heat pump and superior insulation. The intention was to have one genset for both homes. I just happened to find a Bravo model in good shape already on a trailer. I would be happy with an Alpha model with analog controls instead of the computer.

Guyfang

Staff member
Figure out what max load is for both houses. Not guess. With load management you might get below 30 KW. Less fuel usage. And I would tell you, yes, an A model would be much easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Guyfang

Staff member
This might be of interest.

Jdj211

Sorry for the delayed response, but ironically the power had gone out. These spring storms are hitting hard this year. And thank you for the link, but I think I will redirect my search to the analog platform. I don't need to set myself up for more complicated and expensive repairs than necessary. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

I absolutely agree, measuring actual values is a necessity. I have been doing so for our current home, but haven't been able to do that for all seasons on the new home yet since it was just completed early this spring. We "need" a generator before hurricane season kicks off, so I won't have the opportunity to measure the load conditions on the new home in winter prior to that. But going off the equipment specs for the max ratings, the new house shouldn't get over 15kW for the essentials like air conditioning, well pump, septic system, lighting, and water heater. The other house can push 30kW if we were to have the central heating and water heater kick on at the same time. Undoubtedly we could stay below with a 30kW with load management, but I would rather have a little more power than be skimping by.

I'm doing reading on wet stacking since we will be running under 25% load in favorable weather. That will be closer to 50% load in unfavorable weather, with intermittent peaks beyond 80%. So far what I'm seeing indicates it shouldn't be a problem for us. I could easily load it up close to 100% capacity for a few hours to clean it out during periodic maintenance.

Once I'm a little more educated, I'm planning on posting a few questions to double check myself. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks