• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identify axle half shaft and necessary boots

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my rear half shafts the boot tore on the hub side and the rotor side is cracked.

I replaced it with a GS-P branded hand shaft, but I’d like to rebuild it so I always have a spare ready to go.

This is a 1988 M998, but I suspect it has been upgraded in the past to 10k axles. Can someone identify if this is a 7.5k or 10.3k axle and help me figure out what boots are needed?

IMG_5583.jpeg
IMG_5584.jpeg
Rotor side is round all the way around.

IMG_5587.jpeg
Hub side also looks the same all the way around.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth rebuilding (re-greasing and putting on new boots) or not. Since it's a 7k, I think the only real value would be as an "original part" and MAYBE as a spare half-shaft in case I break the 10k one I just installed.

Assuming, I can successfully re-grease and boot it, it'll cost about what a new (aftermarket) half-shaft will. So it's not really a money saving thing.

Any opinions? (My HMMWV is very much in the 'keep as original as possible, and within reason, use original parts'... The GS-P half-shafts I got from summit as backups, certainly are not original parts, but they're so much less expensive them AMG's version that falls within my 'within reason' guideline)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if going aftermarket buy from a large store like summit, rock auto, or physical parts store that sells them and has lifetime warranty. Buying from ebay/amazon or other unknown or questionable sources is usually throwing money down the drain.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if going aftermarket buy from a large store like summit, rock auto, or physical parts store that sells them and has lifetime warranty. Buying from ebay/amazon or other unknown or questionable sources is usually throwing money down the drain.
Ya, I have a full set of GS-P axleshafts I got from Summit about a year or so ago. I bought them as spares "just in case". I have no idea what 'lifetime' warranty would even mean (or if it has such a warranty).

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to beat the 7K shafts apart, they are not put together with removable rings like the 10K or aftermarket half shafts have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks