• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please

BadMastard

I have some calamari, can I get some?

Welcome to the site, ignore the trolls. There are a great bunch of guys here willing and able to help. If you still need help with your 5 tom let me know, but B-rad is your best bet locally, and he'll hook you up.

The only negative I've heard about "new" delco alternators is that they are not water proof. If I'm up to my alternator in water, I doubt whether the system is charging or not is my first worry. When they dry out it comes back. If the truck survives the flood. Just my three cents.

srodocker

Welcome aboard i totally missed this thread a cpl days ago. been to busy to check the forums!

congrats on the truck! yea brad is the guy to talk to! i may be at his place on tuesday as well during the day so maybe i'll meet up with you!

flashgordon

Bill, I had the same thing happen to my 1991 BMY 5 ton. I had a shop estimate a rebuild at $700 also. I decided to switch over to 12volt one wire alt and 12 volt starter. I love it now. 12 volt LED Lights are alot easier to wire in and stereo and elec winch.... and so on. I used the Alt failure as an excuse to change over to 12volt... Glad I did.

Good Luck

-FLASH-

goodguyzy

Bill, I had the same thing happen to my 1991 BMY 5 ton. I had a shop estimate a rebuild at $700 also. I decided to switch over to 12volt one wire alt and 12 volt starter. I love it now. 12 volt LED Lights are alot easier to wire in and stereo and elec winch.... and so on. I used the Alt failure as an excuse to change over to 12volt... Glad I did.

Good Luck

-FLASH-
That's a great option.

wsmayeux

alt

Went out to brads in mckenna today. THAT PLACE IS AWESOME! There are tons of trucks and truck parts. Old trucks, new trucks, big ole snowplow/blower trucks, and even trains. He had a pallet of alternators of all different varieties. They all had tags that said "tested ok" and the date. He even let me use his tools and a vice to change out my pulley. I left him the old alt for parts. He said that a boeing engineer tests the alts when they come in and fixes them. After we were done he told us to walk around and check the place out. He left to give someone a ride into town. There was a 939a1 that he was installing a turbo onto. trailers full of the big 16 super singles. There were transmissions and transfer cases everywhere. Sooo cool. When i got home i installed the new to me alt and...............Wallah. Fixed! Charging at 28.4 volts. Nice. Now onto leaking wiper motor and a new issue that popped up today.....burnt out headlamp. dang. guess this is going to be a perpetual project. Thanks to everyone that offered up the help.
Bill

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks