• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heres something that will make all u cucv owners cringe over lol

Well First off this what the previous owners have done Im defintely gonna have to get a print out of the electrical diagrams lol when i get time to go thru this thing the other pics are for yall amusement lol im gonna try to clean this up and make it look like a militray truck under the hood Starting with 2 original alt these were aftermarket. On the pass side instead of a sleeve at the bottom bolt theirs 15 washers or so just hangin in the wind lol sorry u cant see them didnt take a pic low enough

question is the pic of me holdin the blue wire with a single black plug on it i was curious if one of u knows where its suppose to go or what its for

As for the pic where the duct tape is im kinda scared to take it off lol not sure why it was used

Also what is the thing on the fire wall down in the bottom pic with made in korea (im a newbie lol )First diesel i have ever owned (thanks oldsouthern boy For tellin me what that was )

Attachments

Last edited:

JAsher45

confirmed.. that is your glow plug relay... it should be mounted to the fire wall on that bracket where you have a phillps head screw at.

all that duct tape mess is what is supposed to be hooked up to the glow plug relay
confirmed.. that is your glow plug relay... it should be mounted to the fire wall on that bracket where you have a phillps head screw at.
Yeah any ideas what the single wire im holdin is its blue with a single connector on it
not sure what its suppose to be pluged into as it was just hangin their

Thanks yall i have always lived by the old adage the only stupid question is the one u dont ask Thanks yall for tellin me im a newbie just gettin involved im pretty mechanically inclined so i have some sense lol This is my first diesel so im sure im gonna have more questions thanks again for the reply and time

Last edited:

raiburn

My '28 is about untouched as they come, on it, that connector on the blue wire has black tape holding it into the original wire loom. This looks like the factory setup. It appears as that connector was not used for these trucks.

Open that duct tape, and see if all the wires are isolated, or if some, or all, are connected together.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be carefully and look over the schematics and how your GP relay is wired. The previous owner/re-wirer may have used a non isolated ground relay, to replace the original relay. That would explain why it is not mounted to the firewall.

I can't tell from your picture, where the blue wire is coming from or going to.(It could be the original switching ground wire for the GP relay).

You need to look very closely at the schematics and decide what is and is not correct about your wiring. Wiring mistakes can be disastrous.

Does your GP system work automatically, as it should?

blitzengine

question is the pic of me holdin the blue wire with a single black plug on it i was curious if one of u knows where its suppose to go or what its for

The blue wire is part of the glow plug wiring harness and is connected directly to the glow plug controller card and it is not connected to anything. I assume it is for testing the glow plug card with the ste ice diagnostic tool or to bypass the glow plug system. I did not see any info in the tm about that wire as I redid the three wiring harnesses on my m1009. I sure someone here can correct me on what the wire is used for.
:beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only dark blue wire I see in the schematics is, wire number 508(wait to start light).

I do not see any dk blue wires on the Diagnostics circuit schematic.

od-green

I have been reading and searching a bunch.

This blue wire seems to be a left over from another project. It is not in the wiring diagrams. I traced the wire in my M1009 and found it went to nowhere.

It comes thru the firewall with the Glowplug control wires and plugs into the 6 conductor connector but there is nothing coming out.

Looking at the glowplug wiring diagram the spot on the six conductor connect is blank.

Attachments

i found a couple of original alt that are suppose to be on the truck im gonna have em rebuilt so when i get into this thing ill be definetly needing some help i would like to mount and clean up all the wiring and put it back the way iat should be no wires look hacked up yet so maybe im in a good postion ill try to mess with it theis weekend when i got time thanks again guys for the help and the info for this newbie im grateful keep it comin

Well Guys thanks for all the info as for wether the gp automatically works im not sure it cranks and runs when u turn the key on realys go crazy the wait light goes out and then it cranks deffintely open to any help in this department to get the motor back to the way it should be ill keep watchin thanks for the info guys im very grateful ;-)

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Southern,
Best advice given to me when I joined the site.......
Read the TM's, no REALLY read the TM's....
Print out a section at a time and read them while near or in the truck....
You will soon discover how everything should be or if your case should have been..
I went through a couple of months of "guessing"

I didn't learn to repair them that way in the Army, but I guess I figured I'd remember what the TM said or maybe discover a "better" way than the correct procedure as detailed in the TM......
I now read the appropriate TM section before each attempt to "restore" the vehicle....
I wish the civvy world had the equivalent of the TM......!!!

Wiring can be frustrating and probably the most daunting task you will complete.... It sometimes looked like a bowl of spaghetti exploded under the hood or dash....

Just take your time, ask questions.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks