• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV replacement tires

tgejesse

Background:

New hmmwv owner, m1123 from yermo. 2009 rebuild. Tires are 37x12.5r16.5lt MT (not MT/R) date codes are 2006…. So these bad boys gotta go. They have some cracks and I don’t want a blow out.

Im looking at the most cost effective set of tires that could be directly mounted on the stock rims.
I will only be driving around a beach town, no off-roading etc. Simple and cost effective is the name of the game.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I couldn’t find any threads.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Least expensive would likely be Treadwright tires. They are a remold tire (not to be confused with retread), and I haven't heard anything bad about them, other than you have to buy the warranty to go with the tires (only like $12 I think for a 1 year warranty)

Other than that Feltz tire seems to be a good one, a buddy here ordered tires for 2 trucks from them and is happy. He paid like $25 extra per tire for them to leave them with the run flats in (well worth it in his opinion). Date codes were only 2-3 years old I believe.

tgejesse

Least expensive would likely be Treadwright tires. They are a remold tire (not to be confused with retread), and I haven't heard anything bad about them, other than you have to buy the warranty to go with the tires (only like $12 I think for a 1 year warranty)

Other than that Feltz tire seems to be a good one, a buddy here ordered tires for 2 trucks from them and is happy. He paid like $25 extra per tire for them to leave them with the run flats in (well worth it in his opinion). Date codes were only 2-3 years old I believe.
I like the idea of the treadwright remold tires. Do you have a specific model?

MattNC

They had them for sale for a while, then were only selling blemish tires for crazy high prices over $300 for a blemish tire, then they stopped offering them. I saw a lot of mixed reviews on them, ranging from great experience to them coming apart. I was looking at these myself but I think I'll now jump over to a 17" wheel and a better tire for what I use it for (80% on road).

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running Treadwrights with bead locks from Trailworthy Fab (no run flats). I have no complaints. As far as availability or them selling only blemish tires (per MattNC above) I learned they only make them from time to time (once or twice a month maybe) and they sell out fast. I learned this when I called them about lack of availability.
The advice of the staff member I spoke with was to call weekly and ask when they had a run of HMMWV remoulds scheduled, then once I had that production estimate I should call that day (or couple of days in a row) to place a telephone order as soon as they had tires completed, but before they were listed on the website. That worked fine and I also got a 10% veteran discount, if I recall correctly. So far they are running great and I can't say anything bad about them.

They do pretty limited runs I estimate, since HMMWV is not as big a business as common autos, but I would say that the fact they sold out in a couple of days each time I was watching strongly implies they are a good tire at a good price.

Bulldogger

Action

Background:

New hmmwv owner, m1123 from yermo. 2009 rebuild. Tires are 37x12.5r16.5lt MT (not MT/R) date codes are 2006…. So these bad boys gotta go. They have some cracks and I don’t want a blow out.

Im looking at the most cost effective set of tires that could be directly mounted on the stock rims.
I will only be driving around a beach town, no off-roading etc. Simple and cost effective is the name of the game.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I couldn’t find any threads.
A blowout may not be that big of a deal, if you use the factory runflats. I lost a rear at 65 on the interstate. I could feel something was different, so i pulled over. The hmmwv stayed in the lane until i moved over.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have the perfect set now for your described needs. Not real proud of this but I have cracks in my 38” Toyos that you can stick a quarter in and they have been like that for years. I cant see getting rid of my tires that have 85% tread left on them. That being said, I will be replacing them once my Roadking sells. Sorry I only have 11cents leftover Humvee has used up all my quarters.9E15AC4C-0FB5-43CF-91E8-4C85B629CFA5.jpeg

tgejesse

Reactions: NDT

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have the perfect set now for your described needs. Not real proud of this but I have cracks in my 38” Toyos that you can stick a quarter in and they have been like that for years. I cant see getting rid of my tires that have 85% tread left on them. That being said, I will be replacing them once my Roadking sells. Sorry I only have 11cents leftover Humvee has used up all my quarters.View attachment 842034
Off road ok to use in the middle of no where. Downright scary for any interstate or street use over 20 mph. Quite a liability issue if you have an accident..... IMHO