• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Road Prohibition....

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosoul

Banned
NOT asking how to get a street-legal titles/plates, get around the restriction, etc... But, would like to discuss the illogic of it... Nobody said the guv made sense!

If I can buy and drive an M35A2, with a single-circuit brake system that barely works even when in fully functioning order, or an M939 which borders on CDL but exemptions, etc... It just doesn't make sense to me. Sense not really having anything to do with the discussion... The HMMWV doesn't have any of these failings, and weighs a fraction... I know some people are going to hate on this paragraph. But, you can't call me a liar... The M35/M939 series blow the "safety" argument out of the water. As long as responsible people own them, it's not an issue.

What is the reason? Can't I buy and H1 or H2? I'm familiar with ITAR... But, uh, there doesn't seem to be any real law here. Just an arbitrary decision based on "somebody, somewhere might wet their panties." There's nothing the HMMWV does that has a more "military" use than anything else already on the market... Safety is already proven not-at-all related to the discussion by the above paragraph... The HMMWV is a much better vehicle in that department... IF you can maneuver a bobbed 5ton through your local wal mart parking lot, why not an HMMWV?

I already know that sense has nothing to do with it. I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to understand the perspective, and present a civil position for why the off-road restriction should be removed.

On a note that I know kinda brushes up against forum rules; doesn't it make sense that proof of people behaving well with them would be advantageous? How can that happen if people aren't getting you-know-what and presenting their good behavior example? What suits the interest of having that restriction removed better than proof-through-actions that it's not a problem?

Opening them up for sale... Numbers-wise... There was at least an order of magnitude more M998s made than M35s and M939s... How are they going to ever sell that many if the market is artificially limited? I see the auction values... How can something with 10X more supply, but 10x less potential use maintain a starting bid of 250% above the thing that's actually useful, and much less supply? Is it intended to be lifted, eventually, as soon as the politics are right? If that were not the plan, why even bother making it available? Were they expecting, maybe even hoping, that some people would get around it and prove that it's not a problem? How else are they going to sell that many of them? Is that why the price seems to be manipulated? The economics of it prove that something is definitely not as it appears... It impossible to miss such a glaring, obvious, in your face disparity...

Nothing about this makes sense to me... I'm not asking how to get around it... Just trying to find out if I'm missing something that would make it make sense... And present the position that things that make no sense should not be so...

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

A few of my thoughts as to why.
Getting in a serious accident in a large 5 ton truck vs even a full size can you will likely win. Weight and height are in your favor.
In the same situation in a humvee with vinyl doors you have zero side crash protection. Also a humvees sell price vs that of the Hummer (H1) only is like 1/5 - 1/4 the price of the civilian version. So since there are such a large number of humvees at a sorta good price to be had in some folks minds they will assume the worse that all these accidents will be happening and wrecks and death, sorta like the MDA people think blood will be running in the streets when we are given more gun rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your right, none of the mil spec vehicles that do not meet federal safety standards should be used on the public highways. If you want to fight that fight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact the DLA, present your argument and discuss the issue with them. Report back to us when you have it all wrapped up.

While you are at it have them change the similar rule on the M151 and all the armored vehicles. It can happen, just look at the Gama Goat. They where restricted and are now being sold.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks