• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Runflats

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks, looking for an opinion here. I have these 37" HMMWV tires and 12 bolt rims for my M1008. 98% of driving will be highway and the remaining, who knows. I'm faced with a little dilemma here. I have no beadlock inserts or runflats. What are the pro's and cons of running the runflats? Any balancing issues? I'm not going to be airing down for rock crawling so no worries about the tires getting chewed up. I understand they add quite a bit of weight to a tire/ wheel combo. Today I was shopping for SDR35 PVC to see what it would cost me to make inserts. The runflat idea was once purged from my system but I'm considering them again. FWIW, I installed and aired up a tire without either and once you released the air, the tire fell off the bead. These HMMWV rims have almost no safety bead at all!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can actually get the 2 pc rubber runflats from Alredneck. The PVC route will cost me $50 a rim unless I can source the pipe locally. While researching the PVC stuff I ran across a posting on another site about someone buying them from USA6x6. They reported that they were chopped with what looked like a chainsaw with no regard to squared cuts. LOL.

Crash_AF

I wouldn't think so, the beadlock is just there to put a little pressure on the inside of the beads to keep them seated during low pressure situations. They're not under load or anything, so I don't see how they would break and punch a hole in the tire. I do wonder how you would get a piece of PVC inside the tire without fighting it every step of the way though. I pulled the rubber beadlock from my 936's spare by ratchet strapping it in half to make it fit through the hole, I can't imagine you can do that with the PVC.

Later,
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The off road crowd uses the PVC alot. I hear it can be a challenge to put in. I've ran across at least one build where they cut it in half like puzzle pieces and put it back together in the tire. There are also welded cage type of beadlock inserts on the market but I'm not quite sure of the cost. Since the price is somewhat right on the runflats, I'm seriously considering them unless someone advises of a good reason not to.

100dollarman

If you not going to air down lower than about 15psi, you can run no runflat, no PVC. We dont even have to balance the 37s most of the time if they are in good shape.

The PVCs are a good way to go, but its not just chopping pipe. It has to be the correct width of course, tapered correctly, and have a provision for the valve stem. They are not too difficult to install once you learn how.

I sell the PVCs for $40 each -- so $50 ea local would be a decent deal. I sell alot of 'recentered' 8 bolts and we use alot of PVCs.

Here are a couple of pics-

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Hundy! I was hoping someone with real world experience would answer up. I knew about the width and profiling the PVC. What width are yours? I've found that the runflats are 7" and most folks selling the PVC are selling them at 6 3/4 for the off road tire crowd. I need them in the original width to use the Wrangler M/Ts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Walter. I did come across that sale too. Alredneck has a bunch of these that I can get at a good price but shipping may cost a bit.

Green_gator

If timing is not a critical issue, I am going to a family wedding in Chapel Hill in July. No reason I could not swing by Fayetteville and bring them back to Florida.

johnson

I have seen people use the two piece bias ply magnesium run-flats with the radial tires, but the bead on the radial tires are thicker, so the mag incerts need to be trimmed down. I have also seen the spine of the mag run-flat cut off with a sawsall, and finished up nicely to reduce the weight on the incert.

Samyguy

I made mine. All I could find was DR25, real thick had to bore it out in the mill.
I think DR18 is what you are looking for, 6.3/4 in. wide bevil on the inside.
Not bad to get in the tire, but you have to use 2 straps to get it out.
One on the insert and one on the tire to pull it out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to scrap the 12 bolt idea. Anyone have a set of these rims laying around? The steel ones, not the alloy ones. I've got bartering stock!

Attachments

MARCO1031

I have been thinking along the same lines. I have been watching CL for some good 16.5 steel wheels myself. Not sure if this has been posted but what is the best width to use when running the HMMWV radials?

Nonotagain

I'm about to scrap the 12 bolt idea. Anyone have a set of these rims laying around? The steel ones, not the alloy ones. I've got bartering stock!
I kept searching Craigslist until I found someone local that had a set of four 9.50X16.5 tires and wheels, almost new Uniroyal Larado tires for the sum of $150.

The issue of 16.5" tires coming off the rim is moot provided that you keep the tire aired up to at least 20 PSI.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Shawn, the HMMWV rims are 8.25" wide so I guess that would be optimal. The ones I pictured are 9.75" wide and not popular. I'd use a set if I could find them.

MARCO1031

I have started my search for 16.5 rims. Have found a set of steel wheels that look like a good fit. I also found a set of aluminum 16.5 rims as well at a very good price. Here is the question, would aluminum rims be strong enough? I think the weight savings would be good and saving a few $$$ good as well...but not at the cost of safety. Thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks