• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot breaks on M35A1

knissen

Hi all,
A few days ago I had the brakes adjusted in a workshop and checked.... everything seemed fine.
I was then out driving my M35A1 today - and the breaks got very hot, and ended up stuck! (as I stopped to check) I cooled them down, and loosened and drove to a workshop, with great mechanics who again cooled the brakes down, loosened the brake shoes and tested - everything worked fine... they moved freely, and were still able to brake the truck.
I then drove on, but again heated up the brakes, all six of them. I had the truck brought home on a flatbed.

My question is: What is the root course for this fault, wrongly adjusted brakes? dirty / rusty brake assemblies that makes it impossible for the brake shoes to disengage after braking, system building up pressure in the brakeline continiously (I dont know how?) or some other fault?
Any suggestion before I start to disassemble the brakes?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First I would have said something is out of adjustment, but all 6!? Have you checked the return spring on the peddle? I have seen these break or stretch allowing the peddle to bounce up and down and energize the system.

54reo

Re: RE: Hot breaks on M35A1

WillWagner said:
No freeplay in the brake pedal, a plugged M/C vent hole..
Agreed, check for free play/clearance in the master cylinder adjustable pushrod. Should be 1/2" (at the pedal) free play prior to any master cylinder piston movement.

tjcouch

I had the same problem - it was the airpack. If you open the "glad hand" on the driver side of the truck, and air comes out when the service brakes are NOT applied, you can chalk it up to the airpack sticking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks