• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Long does your oil light stay on?

motormayhem

Mine stays on for about 3 sec after start up and goes off for the duration of my drive. Normal or bad? It has been about 3,000 miles since an oil change so I am going to do that soon.

motormayhem

My light goes out in less than a second. Not sure if that is OK or not!:-D
Do you give your motor 1/2 throttle like the operators manual says to when it starts? I haven't been doing that and that is when I noticed it. If I do that it goes out real quick, but ROARS to life.

TyJustice

I'll do a little test in the morning during cold start-up and after it's warmed up. I usually just pump the pedal before start up while glow plugs are warming up, and leave my foot off while I crank. It always fires right up, but I'll pay more attention to the duration of the light and get back to you.

motormayhem

Ok sounds good. The way I have been doing it now that it is hot out is just hop in and crank it the 1/2 sec it takes after the wait to start light goes out without giving it any pedal and the light says on for 2-3 sec and goes out without fail. In the winter I give it 1/2 throttle when it starts like the operators manual says, however, I got to thinking it might be bad for the engine to rev before it has a sec to warm up and build oil pressure, but the light goes out within 1 sec or so.

TyJustice

Upon cold start-up this morning the light went out almost immediately after the engine fired up. I really don't think it stayed on for 1/2 a second and that was with no pedal.

It was the same for the warm start-up was well.

Now that you have me thinking about the reliability of the light, I might as well install an oil gauge.

Does anybody know of a thread that details how one would install an oil pressure gauge to the m1009?

Thanks

Last edited: