• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much to lengthen driveshaft when bobbong deuce?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Okay, I have the tandems out from under the deuce and the frame shortened.

How much do I need to lengthen the driveshaft?

By my measurements, the center of the M105 wheelwell is about 61 1/2" from the front of the bed and the front axle on the tandem was about 57" from the front of the bed to the axle center. So lengthening it by about 4 1/2" seems right to me.

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Other hints when drilling/ grinding out rivets. First, center punch the rivet good and deep. Then drill about 3/4" deep with a 1/4" drill bit. Then use either a 11/32" or 1/2" (depending on rivet size) drill bit to complete the drilling. Get a punch that is mostly destroyed anyway and drive the rivets the rest of the way out.

After you have all the horizontal rivets out of the gusset plate, start on the vertical rivets on the trunnion. Grind the heads off, jack up the frame so the wheels are just off the ground and then drive a wedge between the frame and the trunnion and the trunnion will fall off.

DavidWymore

I'm not a deuce guru (yet) but I run a machine and welding shop where we do driveshafts and truck chassis repair and modifications. SOP for DL length is once you get it all put together, measure form the center of the tcase ujoint (face of the yoke) to the one on the axle. Take this dimension and your driveshaft to a DL shop...or buddy with a lathe/welder, whatever. The slipyoke should be set in the middle of it's stroke/travel at this dimension. This seems common sense, but I see it a lot....don't add to your tube when lengthening, it won't be strong or straight. Lot more work, but you gotta retube it entirely. We charge one hour = $85 per end, so that should give you an idea on price.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a drive shaft modified one time years ago and that's what was done. They just took the ends and retubed it.

sw

comdiver

Mine cost $150 and we changed the U joints at he same time. It was kind of fun, when I brought it in, the counter guy knew it was from a deuce. Seems he spent time under them while in Vietnam. Thanks Herbie!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get the axle mounted get a measurement from center of yoke on the t-case to center of yoke on the axle. Take your driveshaft to Clineards (sp?) Driveshaft in Nashville and give them that measurement. They will fix you up. If you need their phone number let me know. I think I have it around here somewhere.

When I have removed rivets I did almost the same as you but I used a torch. You have to be real careful not to cut too deep but after I blow the head off I blow through the rivet. Somehow even a small hole through the center loosens it up. I found this out when Gimpy came to get some front springs after I had only cut the heads and was beating on them while Gimpy's buddy was shaking trying to hold the punch while I was swinging a sledge :-D.