• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got one!

ozarkflyer

I rolled the dice Last weekend I went to Indiana and drove her home 500 miles - the only problem was the batteries needed a jump after stopping for fuel at night - she started fine all day - but after I used the headlights for a while the batteries went kaput! - I brought along extralong heavy duty jumper cables and a nice lady trucker had me on my way in no time - only a few things wrong with the truck - I replaced the batteries with 2 from wallyworld - I had to replace a leaky air tank valve and one of the large rearview mirrors is broken - and the brake lights dont work - that is driving my crazy trying to find the problem.

Seems like she was well taken care of and has cool little scorpions painted on the front and back. This is the ebay photo - I will post some new ones later.
Greg

PS - anyone have a camo rearview mirror they want to sell?
PPS - also looking for a monster snatchblock.
PPPS- also looking for the deep water fording kit.

Attachments

ida34

Did you have the light switch set to the stoplight setting? Glad you made it home in one piece. Congrats.

DanMartin

Firstly, welcome to SS!

Also, Congrats on the new toy! You're going to have a blast with it...

Now, on to your brake light issues:

Are you sure you have the light switch in the correct position for the brake lights to come on (not in black-out mode)? Make sure the switch is set to "service drive"

Grab the -10 TM here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=86

Have a look at page 4-45. It gives you the low-down on the switch operation.

Check the wires from the tail lights back..make sure nothing is disconnected or corroded (while you're back there put a good dab of dielectric grease in each connector for some additional protection).

If it's not that...make sure the brake switch on the air pack isn't busted or (worse) leaking...this is a semi-common thing. There is an upgrade kit from Saturn Surplus that changes the switch position and comes with a new switch (I believe it changes from a hydraulic-type switch to an air-type switch). I would check that next.

There's a wiring diagram available on a thread here somewhere (do a search) that makes it easy to track these circuits down...the wiring on these trucks is pretty simple really.

ozarkflyer

Thanks for the welcome, the truck came with a manual so I am sure the switch is in the correct position - I have checked that the brake switch is plugged in under the truck. I checked the connections at the rear and the bulb on one side - I am having some trouble getting the screws out of the tail light assembly on the other side - so one bulb has not been checked - do they both have to be good to get brake lights? I am starting to think it is the dash switch because both lights are out - is there a brake light fuse or breaker?

Wont be back on until 2morrow night - going to break out a meter and get serious about this cause she is trapped at home till this is fixed and I REALLY want to show her off at work.

And thanks for the snatch block info - going to order 2morrow.

Greg

Alredneck

Banned
Good deal, congrats on you recent aquirment. They are a lot of fun and a lot of head aches ( i get headaches all the time anyway danm TBI :) ) but everything gets sorted out after awhile and after a few frosty beverages. Good luck and have Fun, Captain

jumpmasterjim

I'm having same brakelight issue. to tell the truth I haven't even checked it yet. I've been storing it at a buddies property. Still waiting on the almighty ellusive SF-97.

ozarkflyer

brake lights

Ok, last night I checked the connection into the brake switch - it had power so I jumped it and the brake lights came on. So I guess the part attached to the cylinder is bad - if I take that off will brake fluid come pouriing out? I guess I will order that upgrade kit from saturn today -
Greg

DanMartin

RE: brake lights

Yes, it will open up the system...you'll need to bleed the brakes once you're done with the switch.

Now would be a good time to do a complete brake inspection, and replace any parts that might be leaking or cracked. Look at your brake lines and slave cylinders and check for leaks/cracks. Get a gallon of mil-spec DOT 5 fluid and get it all done at once (including the brake switch upgrade)....you'll be happy you did. Nothing better than knowing your brakes are tip-top in a 14000lbs vehicle. :)

BTW: The kit comes with everything you need for a single circuit brake system. If you have the newer dual circuit (split) brake systems (found on only later year A2s (mid 80's) and all A3s), you'll need two kits and have to make up some wiring extensions as the stock harness isn't long enough. I'm not sure what year your truck was built, but it probably has the single circuit brake system.

ozarkflyer

RE: brake lights

I ordered the mirror and snatch block yesterday from Colemans and Saturn is closed till tuesday so I will go over the brake system and check everything as well as do a search here for brake bleeding info. Where can I order a gallon of dot 5 from? our one horse town autosupply only sells it in the small container at $9.00 bucks each (and he only keeps 2 on hand).

AND good news - I used the deuce today to pull an old school bus out of the woods today AND flip it over on its side for a neighbor so he could cut it up for scrap - The duece is no longer a toy - it is now a tool!

THIS she needs to know! - not how much I was smiling. :)

FreightTrain

Banned
Check the classifieds.There is a guy on here that sells Milspec gallon cans of dot 5 for I think $25 delivered to your house...and if you buy a bunch like I plan on soon you get a few bucks off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks