• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify this massive Aircraft Tug, Please?

mcginlej

Fellows, I need some help to identify this massive Aircraft Tug, which is at the Valiant Air Command museum in Titusville, FL. I'm a volunteer mechanic there but have no military or heavy-equipment background... The tug has zero information on it- no name, model, serial #, and no paper records either. Whoever got it to us is apparently gone. I have determined this much: It is 96 in (8 ft.) wide and 13ft, 5 in long, not including front-rear pintle hitches. It has a Detroit Diesel and auto trans of unknown make, front-only steering, 2 and 4-wheel drive modes with Rockwell axles bolted directly to the frame, planetary-gear hubs with 12-lug wheels, 12.00X 24 tires. The front and rear "fender" structures are formed from a 96-inch wide sheet of 1.5 in thick steel, linked by two steel-plate beams 16 inch high by 3 in thick! Including the added weights over the wheels, it is 30,000 lbs at least. Trying to post some photos but am new to this. Thanks, JoelP1050178.jpgP1050179.jpg

mcginlej

Thanks for the suggestion - the shape is similar, but all the S & S tugs appear to have the driver in a forward cab- in this unit, he sits in the middle and high. I tried to reach S&S and heard "we don't have that division anymore". The suggestions they gave me instead went all over- such as BAE (British?).... Oh - don't be confused by the Chevrolet Pickup just to the right of the Tug. Any other ideas? Joel

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it's a Grove aircraft tug? There aren't many manufacturers for the big tugs, Google Search is your friend....

tamangel

wouldn't the museum have some sort of paper trail for the 'donation'? Seems..someone..would have to have cut paper on it for aquisition/tax purposes..

Mike W

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks