• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idle quality

rsh4364

Just finished spin on fuel filter upgrade,turned out nice, but M1009 still idles kinda rough,whats next step?Starts better, runs better,but still sounds like a diesel with a big cam at idle..

Last edited:

Skinny

Idle speed set too low? Are your Gen lights coming on? This will happen if you rpms drop too low. If this is not the case, you probably have a fuel delivery/IP issue.

rsh4364

Idle speed seems right,gen. lights work correctly.might throw on an electric pump and see if that helps.One other thing I have noticed is when truck sits for 12 or more hours and I go to start it if I crank over for 5-10 seconds then glowplug it,it starts right up..odometer is at 77,200 miles,I drive her 3-500 miles per week and love it.Thanks for the input Skinny,Im hoping its lift pump not IP yet !

Barrman

If you have to crank more than about 1-2 seconds hot or cold. You have a fuel delivery issue building. Pull the check valve in the return system on top of the IP and see if the little glass ball has caught a bunch of IP parts in it. Start thinking IP replacement though.

My first M1009 had a big cam gasser non rythmic idle. No trash in the return line, fast starts and great mpgs. I replaced the IP and have a smooth as glass idle, faster starts and just below 20 mpg's now that I am using the new found power. Well, not really new found since it has almost been two years but you get the point.

rsh4364

When its warm it starts in an instant,better than any gas vehicle,will look at check valve though,seems like it started doing this off and on after I ran her out of fuel..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks