• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm having problems with transmission fluid and and electric help

Matt Kahle

Hey guys I'm having some problems with my m1009 this is my first truck I have ever owned so don't think I'm a completed dummy for what I did. I'm trying to get it ready for I'm going to get my drivers license soon. Okay I replaced the battery's and I reversed the polarity of the battery's and in doing so when I start my truck My drivers side light is dimer and the heater comes on when the switch is off and my directional switch light is stuck on the drivers side and so is the blinker on the directional in the steering column. Another problem is that my gen light comes on number 1. I rebuilt the alternators and I think I fried my passenger one doing something dumb again revering the power with the ground I found out after it smoked up. all these problems go away after driving it a little or letting it run for about 5-10 minus. One last thing I changed the transmission fluid that all went well I added 4 quirts and the dip stick was reading nothing like no fluid on it at all then I added another 3/4 quirt and then I showed up on the stick. last night I started the truck again to check the fluid again and it show nothing again! is there some trick to adding transmission fluid. Can some one help to please.:drool:

Barrman

The transmission fluid needs to be checked with the fluid at operating temperature and the engine running. It normally takes 2 gallons to fill it back up after dropping the pan and changing the filter on the transmission.

If you add fluid and then check it right away, you will get a false reading because fluid is still draining down the fill tube.

You might want to read the wiring diagrams at the back of the -20 manual. You seem to still have stuff hooked up wrong.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening Matt.

Being 15, you have a long time to learn all the mistakes many of us have made.

We need more info about your batteries. Can you post some pics of how you have them wired? Is there any other modifications made to the wiring?

Matt Kahle

No modifications have been made with them I reversed the + and - the flow of the currant and I tried to start the truck and it burnt out some wires thats when I knew the I hooked them up wrong. Then I fix that but I just have a new set of problems. The gen one problem thats the one that worry's me I can run the truck for awhile and the gen 1 light will go out and my driver side head light is bright again. Maybe my alternator is shot after it went up in smoke? Now for the transmission I only add 4 3/4 quirts of fluid because motormayhem.net said 4 quirts I will add more. Now I drove my truck about 6 miles with that much fluid is that bad? I hope I didn't burn any thing out It shifted real nice better then the jeeps that I work on....

Barrman

Again, warm it up and check the fluid with the truck on a level surface and the engine running. If you got it full, then it is full. If you need to add, remember the hash marks on the stick are 1 pint apart, not 1 quart like the engine oil.