• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

increasing reliability and offroad performance

davidkroberts

May 6th, 2010.

Why mess up a perfectly good deuce when what you REALLY want is a Unimog? An S404,406,408 or U1300L will beat any deuce in off road work..... flat out![thumbzup] Particularly since you don't plan to haul 2-1/2 tons along with you, but I believe the U1300L might just be able to do that too.....:p

Just my experienced two cents worth.....

:ditto:

until you have driven a unimog.... you just wont understand

Unforgiven

I've lost count of how many times I've seen you post this...
No doubt. I don't think I've ever seen a Unimog go for less than $35-40K. And that's for 1960's models that are beat up. Any cheaper & they need a total restoration.

Deuce $3500 - 4000

A buddy of mine bought a Unimog a few years ago. I forgot what model. 65 grand! He took out a mortgage on his house to buy it. Whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I think Unimogs are great. I've always wanted a 404 DOKA. But it's not worth a house payment to me.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And lose the front winch for better angle of attack. Just carry a chain come-along instead.
Army70deuce, I know you want to keep the winch, but another option is to weld in a 2" receiver front and back and use an electric winch mounted in a cradle that will fit into the front or back receiver. That also gives you more flexibility in winching. You just need to run a line front and back with plugs. We use this set up on the Rescue units where I'm from. That would be really handy for a lot of the Bobbers too.
BTW, I'm not far from you, I'm in Ramadi. The good thing is I'm going home in about a month, the bad thing is I don't have a deuce to go home too.:cry: Guess the wife and kids will have to do.8)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks