• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump screw

dmilkman589

I started using my m1009 to pull a boat. Pulled ok but could have used a little more on hills. Decided to turn up injection pump an 8th turn. So I begin by removing cap screws of injection pump. First one I start with... Snap. The screw breaks. Do I just leave it and walk away to continue running on 2 screws that are left or is that bad idea? I'm afraid if I break all screws ill be in big trouble. What would I do then. What would you do?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These screws tend to corrode bad because it's a steel screw in a aluminum housing. You'll probably be ok with one screw broken but if you break any more you may end up ruining the housing.

You're not going to gain very much at all fooling with the fuel adjustment. I'd quit while I was ahead.

dmilkman589

The issue with using an easy out is how small that screw is. Also the fact that its in aluminum, very easy to mess up. If I leave it will it begin leaking eventually or is that glued on?

Barrman

I have had them break on me as well. All of the 5 or 6 I have broken were above the pump housing once the lid was removed. Go ahead and pull the cover. There might be enough left to turn the rest of the screw out with your fingers or a pair of pliers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman may be right. They tend to corrode and get stuck in the cover itself, not so much the threads.

dmilkman589

So shall I take the risk and pull the other 2 out then? I'm at about 75%. Just need that little extra push to go ahead and do it...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add my 10% to it... by saying I second what Barrman and m16ty said.

BTW, those are fully threaded 3/16"-24 x L 1-1/4" machine screws - easy to find/replace!

G.