• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

intake and exhuast valves

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When adjusting the valves, do you need to remove the fuel injectors in order to turn over the engine with the Transfer in neutral,the trans in 5th and long pry bar in the jackshaft.what im not finding in the TM's is do I need to remove the fuel Injectors as I know the spark plugs are removed on a internal combustion engine allowing you to roll her over easy.. all the TM I looked at donot mention this. Also what was mentioned in one of the post is to turn the engine over with a large pry bar in the jackshaft , where is the jackshaft. thanks

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know if it always is be turned only one way and which direction is that? It seems logical to make it turn the way the engine normally turns but I loose it when I am upside down and backwards under the truck. Maybe it could be done from the top but don't know. Video shows which way it normally turns, counterclockwise looking down from the drivers seat.

Jackshaft

IMG_1337.jpgIMG_1338.jpgIMG_1346.jpgIMG_1355.jpg

When one pulls the tunnel covers to complete the grease PM's one may find the jackshaft bolts loose or missing.

View attachment jackshaft b 01112017 IMG_1598.MOV

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jackshaft
View attachment jackshaft a 01112017 IMG_1597.MOV

This entire mechanism is always going around, even in neutral. That is why it should be lubed.
But you asked where to put the prybar, I don't know. You asked should the injectors be pulled, don't know.
One should disconnect the batteries at the mains, that's for sure, and note the fuel cutoff is to be activated. I am hoping some others chime in as I don't know lots of stuff I am supposed to know.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the prybar into whichever universal joint of the shaft is more convenient. Removal of injectors not required (but, obviously, makes rolling over the engine easier, if so inclined). Also...before I pry I always "bump" the starter to get the engine close to where I want it and only "fine tune" with the prybar...less work that way. Make sure the engine shut-off is pulled and locked in the pulled position before rolling the engine over.
Also, if you follow the instructions on this site, you can adjust the valves by setting the engine once, adjusting half of the valves, rolling the engine over and adjusting the second set of valves.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135629-valve-adjustment-help

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the prybar into whichever universal joint of the shaft is more convenient. Removal of injectors not required (but, obviously, makes rolling over the engine easier, if so inclined). Also...before I pry I always "bump" the starter to get the engine close to where I want it and only "fine tune" with the prybar...less work that way. Make sure the engine shut-off is pulled and locked in the pulled position before rolling the engine over.
Also, if you follow the instructions on this site, you can adjust the valves by setting the engine once, adjusting half of the valves, rolling the engine over and adjusting the second set of valves.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135629-valve-adjustment-help
that is the post that i was referring to. thanks all

someoldmoose

Sorry if I missed it but what engine are you working on ? Disregard, I am once again too late to the game but you are in good hands. [thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks