• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting radiator shutter find

Boatcarpenter

I found this radiator shutter next to an old Deuce radiator leaning against a tree near the parts truck scooter and I have acquired. Brought it home and juiced the heck out of it with penetrating oil and have managed to get it to operate manually. It is spring tensioned to stay open and there is an air piston that closes it when air pressure is applied. The air piston is rusted beyond repair so it needs to be replaced or the unit could be operated with a bowden cable.
It is painted OD but there is no NSN on it that I can find.
Manuf. tag says Kysor Automatic Shutter
Kysor Industrial Corporation
Cadillac, Michigan
# R418 M3054(I think)
Would be handy in this climate in the winter so one wouldn't have to stop to roll up the winter cover after the engine warmed up and threatened to run hot!!
Haven't tried to see how it fits in front of the radiator in my Deuce yet but will get to that soon.
Anyone run across a Deuce with one of these installed?
BC

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

It looks very similar to the radiator shutters on the Mobile Machine Shops (trailer mounted).

The shop power unit shutters are controlled via a cable though, not an air cylinder like yours.

Attachments

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good find BC. I always thought that the deuce should have them the way we run them, way below max load most of the time. Just run downhill and watch the temp drop, I have seen 30-40 degree changes on some long hills. Did look for a set years ago and gave up and installed the "permanent" radiator cover instead...

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every locomotive I've ever run has automatic pneumatic shutters. They are for the same thing Bjorn mentioned, closed when engine is running light or open when pulling. I'll tell you what, the first time you are on the front of a switcher and those things pop open behind you, it will make you jump!! :-D

Would be a great idea to add to a deuce. Bjorn, did you look at exhaust fan shutters?

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be a great idea to add to a deuce. Bjorn, did you look at exhaust fan shutters?
No, but checked out a number of tractor (farm) shutters, which were not of the correct dimension. Ended up with my customized plywood sheet, which does a good job. Only removed it a couple of times for heavy hauls...

Haven't decided what to do for the 8x8 multifuel yet. When I replaced the radiator hoses on it, I noticed that the inside walls on the radiator side of the thermostat housing were pristine, while the walls on the engine side were coated with the normal brownish residue, indicating that the thermostat didn't run open very much (at least, that's my interpretation). So, a radiator cover/shutter would be good for this engine also.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks