• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermediate prop shaft question

acme66

Well that is what I am calling it. The truck was being persnickety on the tour run today. First I was trying to see if I could make it up the last big grade on the run in 1st high but looked down to see the trans temp at 255. I don't think it was that hot, didn't feel, drive or smell like it so now I guess I need to add a trans sender to the list. Anyway on the drive home I hear a strange noise when I let it coast at say 45-50mph. A tinny rattle. (seems to be a lot of that going around) Go under it when I shut down today looking for...anything. I found a loose slip yolk on the prop shaft from the transmission to transfer case. I am not asking if that is bad news, I know it needs replacing. It would be awesome if someone was willing to wiggle theirs and tell me how much play they have if any so I can decide if this is a truck freight or air freight deal. Either way the fourth is a big weekend and the truck needs to run. If someone else out there has more play and has been trucking with that for a long time then I will feel better about driving it hard over the holiday, if mine is the worst out there then I need to get on the stick and grin and bear the shipping costs. I posted a video (hey it pays the mortgage) showing just how bad or not bad mine is. This could easy be a $1000+ weekend and your input will help me weigh the odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF8OG9CfgI

Ken

Rmtaunton

It's more commonly known as a "jack shaft" try that in your search , I couldn't see how much movement you had as I am phone right now , but that should help your search, good luck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, grease it. You should be ok, I couldn't see any MAJOR movement when you wiggled it. It IS a slip shaft, so there should be some movement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks