• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermediate prop shaft question

acme66

Well that is what I am calling it. The truck was being persnickety on the tour run today. First I was trying to see if I could make it up the last big grade on the run in 1st high but looked down to see the trans temp at 255. I don't think it was that hot, didn't feel, drive or smell like it so now I guess I need to add a trans sender to the list. Anyway on the drive home I hear a strange noise when I let it coast at say 45-50mph. A tinny rattle. (seems to be a lot of that going around) Go under it when I shut down today looking for...anything. I found a loose slip yolk on the prop shaft from the transmission to transfer case. I am not asking if that is bad news, I know it needs replacing. It would be awesome if someone was willing to wiggle theirs and tell me how much play they have if any so I can decide if this is a truck freight or air freight deal. Either way the fourth is a big weekend and the truck needs to run. If someone else out there has more play and has been trucking with that for a long time then I will feel better about driving it hard over the holiday, if mine is the worst out there then I need to get on the stick and grin and bear the shipping costs. I posted a video (hey it pays the mortgage) showing just how bad or not bad mine is. This could easy be a $1000+ weekend and your input will help me weigh the odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF8OG9CfgI

Ken

Rmtaunton

It's more commonly known as a "jack shaft" try that in your search , I couldn't see how much movement you had as I am phone right now , but that should help your search, good luck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, grease it. You should be ok, I couldn't see any MAJOR movement when you wiggled it. It IS a slip shaft, so there should be some movement.