• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is $7000-$8000 too high for super clean M1009?

AdamBombs81

I've been looking in Illinois for solid M1009 Blazer. I've found 2 and are in the $7000-8000 range. But I see plenty in the $4000-5000 elsewhere. I even saw one for $10,000. Where do you draw the line on these?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The line is drawn at your wallet and eyes. Everything is worth what someone wants to pay. No matter what you buy, you will find three more the next day better and cheaper. It's not too far out of line, and cash talks in a deal. Have you looked at them or just ad pictures. Always be there and look before any negotiation takes place. The 1009 is a great truck.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 has a lot of potential rust issues. The design of the body has a lot of places that promote rust and is common to all of them. In my opinion a true "clean" M1009 is worth more than any other CUCV variant as they cruise down the highway without any modification and have very impressive fuel mileage. I would pay a premium for one but not without looking at it first.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with wheelspinner, Its worth what you want to pay. I bought my 1009 as a beater for $2,500 back in 2011 but started to fix it up because I love that truck so much. With all the military accessories I added, I now have about $5,000 in it and it sits in the front driveway just for show most of the time. I take it to parades in the summer and maybe put 3,000 miles a year on it but I won't sell it for less than $7,000. I would suggest that if you want one that bad I would start with one that needs a little work for a lot less investment and fix it up as time and money allows. It would be a good learning experience and it will allow you to appreciate it even more when completed.

AdamBombs81

My idea was to sell my muscle car for around $10,000, buy a M1009 for around $5000-$6000 and put the rest into suspension upgrades like lift and better axles. Eventually going turbo etc. looks like I'll have to buy out of state like Texas or Arizona and have it delivered. I know off-roading can cost as much as hot rods, but feel I'll have more fun on the trails rather then risking getting tickets on the roads lol.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why spend that kind of money on a super clean one when all your going to do is lift it, etc and go 4 wheeling?
That will instantly kill the resell/collecting value of it for most guys. And rough/tear up a great truck.

Just get a decent/Ok one and use the savings for the things you want to do to the truck.

Really good rust free M1009s are very hard to find. Their out there.
Took me two years to find one.

If you want a stock super clean truck to leave as is and enjoy, I would pay that, if it is as advertised.
For a truck I'm just gonna hit the mud and trails with, I wouldn't even look at it.

AdamBombs81

I'm not looking to make money when I resell, plus I want it to look good and not like a rusty pos. The trails by me are beginners and won't be too harsh on truck

cucvrus

CUCV Lock out 004.jpgI sold this one for $8. K 5 years ago. Rust free all original. DSCF2164.jpgThis one my Son spend $7.K on and I know it is used a bit hard but still very rust free. DSCF2132.jpgThis one is rusty and has been used hard. I would sell it for $2.5K But it is 100% stock and runs great. So prices do vary. Back in 2006 I bought 4 M1009's for $700. 3 of the 4 ran. One had the hood off and I changed the engine and it ran. So prices are hard to set. You see what you want and what you like and what you are willing to pay for one. I have one in the barn. 13K miles. Not sure what I am doing with it. It does not eat anything and is not in my way. The more I see hacked up lifted and molested the more I feel the stock ones are worth. Good Luck in your search. Happy Holidays.

AdamBombs81

I not going big lift 3-4 inch is all. Might do a 14 bolt in rear and Dyna up front, I don't mind dents in the body, govplanet has one in auction starting at $3500 in Texas and I think 68,xxx miles. I can always store and keep stock parts for a true collector. I just don't want a jeep or truck that everyone has. That's why my muscle car isn't a Chevy or Ford. I like being different

Last edited:

86m1028

You asked for opinions & here's mine.
Im really into the cucv trucks minus the m1010's & m1009's.
A really tough no nonsense bare bones truck with no fufu crap.
The trucks are great minus the pos excuse of a motor they put in them.
I think $3500-$4000 is the very top price range for the m1009's & that would have to be a perfect & I mean perfect one.
In the m1009's the motors, axles & gearing are garbage unless you want to putt around not carrying anything, not towing anything, basically an 80's version of a Toyota Prius.
If your wanting a trail rig why not buy a civi blazer, build it up the way you want & paint it green ?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets do the math on my CUCV's

M1009
3500 original truck (this was a steal)
1000 paint
800 tires
600 new interior
1000 Mechanical fix and changes
$5900

Now prices seem more normally around 4500-5000+ then you are 7,400 on the high end

These prices do not include my rollbar, soft top etc that was not normal items somebody would do.

If I sell it I will be selling on e-bay for 12k

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets do the math on my CUCV's

M1009
3500 original truck (this was a steal)
1000 paint
800 tires
600 new interior
1000 Mechanical fix and changes
$5900

Now prices seem more normally around 4500-5000+ then you are 7,400 on the high end

These prices do not include my rollbar, soft top etc that was not normal items somebody would do.

If I sell it I will be selling on e-bay for 12k
Their also not making anymore of them.
Good ones are hard to find now
Imagine 10 years from now??!!

The more guys scrap and trash them, the more mine or any really good rust free one, goes up in value.

Of course mine is for my girls and is in long term storage so I wouldn't sell for any price.

MarcusOReallyus

My idea was to sell my muscle car for around $10,000, buy a M1009 for around $5000-$6000 and put the rest into suspension upgrades like lift and better axles. Eventually going turbo etc. looks like I'll have to buy out of state like Texas or Arizona and have it delivered. I know off-roading can cost as much as hot rods, but feel I'll have more fun on the trails rather then risking getting tickets on the roads lol.
I'm not looking to make money when I resell, plus I want it to look good and not like a rusty pos. The trails by me are beginners and won't be too harsh on truck
I not going big lift 3-4 inch is all. Might do a 14 bolt in rear and Dyna up front, I don't mind dents in the body, govplanet has one in auction starting at $3500 in Texas and I think 68,xxx miles. I can always store and keep stock parts for a true collector. I just don't want a jeep or truck that everyone has. That's why my muscle car isn't a Chevy or Ford. I like being different
It's worth what you want to pay for it. If you want to pay premium price for a military vehicle, then change it so that it's no longer a military vehicle, just to be "different", then do it, and enjoy it.

Just don't think it makes any kind of economic sense.

If your wanting a trail rig why not buy a civi blazer, build it up the way you want & paint it green ?
This.

danewerle

AdamBombs81, where in Illinois are you. I am in southern WI, own a 1986 M1009 that I purchased in Texas 3 years ago and possibly??? may be interested in selling it. It's got 55,000 miles and drives like it has 40,000 miles. Little bit of rust on the passenger rocker panel otherwise in good shape. Other stuff includes glow plug bypass, printed circuit board (this week), new radiator (last month), spin on fuel filter, rear pinion and transfer case seals. Has the usual military dents and paint is chipping. Text me if you are interested at 608-774-7459. I can send pics as well. Thanks, Dennis. Looking for $6000

LastFbody

They seem to be on a somewhat upward trend. I have seen a couple that looked pretty clean on the Illinois/Wisconsin CL recently. Prices seem to match fleabay.

I got mine in June from our area for $4300 titled and registered with a western plow. There were some issues, mainly a very rusty floor under the rubber caused probably from a broken window and lots of time sitting out because nobody bothered fixing it on the military base it came from. But the body is 95% perfect and the rest of the chassis only has some surface rust. Selling the plow took my investment down quite a bit, but then went right back up to the original price with having the th400 rebuilt and doing other odds and ends.

Point of the story is, if anything seems wrong on it take a pass on it unless you can buy it cheap enough. If it's pretty mint, 6-7k isn't outrageous. If it's a little rough around the edges like mine was, try and aim for 3-4k so you don't get too out of the realm fixing it up.

Also, fluid film is your friend, and driving in salt is your enemy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks