• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it OK to leave the front hub locked when patches of ice are expected

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your assumption is correct. Don't grab that shifter and ram it in 4x4 when the rear tires are spinning. Lockout hubs didn't always exist and they were an option in their infancy. WWII Jeeps had no locking hubs at all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, all the WWII Jeeps right up to the M38A1 were selectable 4WD. Most (probably all) had a Dana 18 transfer case with 2 sticks for operation.

Skinny

It was usually a 3 speed forward, 1 reverse trans coupled to a 2 speed transfer case (HI/LO) along with a front axle part time system. The front axle had no hubs, they had drive flanges which coupled the wheel to the axle all the time. It was up to the driver to simply select 2wd or 4wd to get the front axle power or not. This setup was very common on pretty much any Jeep (or whatever naming), Land Cruisers, Rovers, etc. Not much changed until they went to a 4 speed trans. Some even got factory twin sticks and you could get optional locking hubs for less wear and better fuel economy. Overdrive options did exist as well. Lots of gadgets to buy but the core setup was like that for many decades. Locking hubs pretty much became standard equipment in the late 50's, then was on most everything from there on out unless it had all wheel drive options like Wagoneers, Cruisers, Rovers. Once manufacturers went to IFS with unit bearings, locking hubs went away.

cucvrus

And thank God for modern technology. I am glad I do not deal with repacking wheel bearings and messing with manual hubs on all the trucks. I have had few issues with the newer 4WD trucks that I maintain. I have sealed bearing trucks that have 200K and the hubs and wheel bearings are still original. Less maintenance means more on the road use. I had a few that had switches inside go bad or a few with the axle switch go out. But for the most part the diagnostic part was easier and the repair was quicker and cleaner then the old school manual hubs. I have no bones to pick with the old CUCV's I just find newer trucks more comfortable and less troublesome. Of course 3 year old trucks will be somewhat more reliable then 30 year old trucks. The V belts on the CUCV are my biggest thorn. And I run them almost everyday. And run them hard in all weather and on off road conditions. I do not buy push button transfer case vehicles. Good luck and keep them maintained they will keep going a long time.