• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a method to ID my brake fluid?

Is there any way I can tell what type of brake fluid my m1009 is running? I know they call for dot5, I just dont want to add dot5 to dot3, I understand the fluid then jells. Maybe just do a small sample mix? Is there anything I can look for?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you got it from GL most likely it is Dot5, I have seen military dot 5 that is yellow, clear and purple/blue. Dot 5 is the way to go. You can always flush your system. Sorry I don't know of any test to tell the difference.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silicone fluids are not miscible with water. It’s the classic oil and vinegar scenario.
DOT 5 Silicone, being less dense, tends to float on top of DOT 3.

So pour some dot X in a jar, then drain or turkey baster some brake fluid out of your rig and pour into the Dot X.

If it separates & you can see two layers then it is not whatever you 1st poured into the jar.
If it looks uniform, then it is the same as you poured in the jar.
If you use fresh Dot3 the cheapest, for the Dot X, you should see layers if it is Dot5 (silicone) in your rig.

Thank You, Doghead. I guess it would be prudent to search the whole site, as opposed to just the CUCV forum. As it goes, I sucked some brake fluid from my master cylinder with a turkey injector. (Cajun Chef, of coarse) then mixed that throughly with some water. A few minutes later, the brake fluid was very clearly seperated from the water. Dot 5!

Barrman

When doing the shake test, let it sit for a while. If you have some murky, dark colored stuff in there now. It might be a good bit of goo. I tested a GL truck last fall by pulling a bunch out of the master, mixing in some BFS, shake and let sit. 30 minutes later and I could see no lines. The next morning though, we had 3 layers. BFS brake fluid, DOT 3 brake fluid and goo on the bottom.

The truck had DOT 3, we did a complete flush and got all the gunk out to make all 4 brakes work. I personally have been won over to the dark side and want BFS in every vehicle I own that doesn't have anti lock brakes. ABS doesn't get along with BFS in US made vehicles.