• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a new FL law about tags

TacticalDoc

I just went to get my truck (5 ton M923 1984) registered and they told me that its 225 initial fee plus 260 per year. So, 485 for the first year and 260 every year after? ???...I though we already pay property taxes! They said that since its 21,000 LBS and not 30 years old I cant register it as antique. even if I wait until next year when it becomes 30 years I still can't get the antique tags. is this new? I was always told that we can by other FL members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to apply to Tallahassee for the former mv tag. There are restrictions. Read FSS 320.086

TacticalDoc

You have to apply to Tallahassee for the former mv tag. There are restrictions. Read FSS 320.086

The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a)

The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a),

For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

So next year I can get this antique plate ...right?
Actually it says any year military vehicle! So I should be able to get that plate now?
doesn't matter year either or size?

Last edited:

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a)

The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a),

For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

So next year I can get this antique plate ...right?
Actually it says any year military vehicle! So I should be able to get that plate now?
doesn't matter year either or size?
I believe it says regardless of age for military trucks. You must send form HSMV83045 to Tallahassee.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

As I reread this section you can only get antique plates after 30 years. The part about any military vehicle regardless of age or weight is for the placement of the tag not the type of the tag. That part allows you to keep the tag in the cab and not displayed. The part for an antique permanent tag is for military vehicles 30 years or older. Since my truck is a 1984 its 29 years old.

The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection

so, if I wait a few more months I wont have to pay an initial fee and will only have to pay a one time fee for a permanent antique tag. Is that correct?

lavarok

If you actually download the 83045 form and read it, you will see that a former military vehicle is exempt from age limits. As stated above, it will be subject to use restrictions.

TacticalDoc

If you actually download the 83045 form and read it, you will see that a former military vehicle is exempt from age limits. As stated above, it will be subject to use restrictions.
How long will it take for me to get my tags from Tallahassee?
Is there a phone number or POC that I can call in Tallahassee?

I need to tow another truck and don't want to risk not having it registered

Last edited:

Benaj

I have antique tags on 1984 CUCV.

Takes up to 6 weeks but they are only $60.

there is a phone number posted here but just fill out the paperwork and mail it in. I included a picture for good measure.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mailing my paper work in for my antique plate for my 1984 m923 untill then dmv gave me a 45 day tag ** south carolina }

TacticalDoc

On the form it actually says military vehicle 30 years or older but it seems like you have done it with a 84 CUCV. Also the title was transferred over today and I'm waiting for it in the mail. I'll send them the paperwork/receipt that the tax office gave me with the title number.

I want to tow another 5 ton this weekend and will bring the paperwork showing I have filled out all the forms for title and registration if I get pulled over. I have insurance already. So, hopefully the paperwork showing that I'm waiting for the registration to come in will be enough for the cops if I get pulled over. I have to make the tow this weekend.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the worst they will do is write you a ticket for improper reg and go to court and shw proper paper work out it goes besides the cops dont even give me a 2nd look just try to not go near any scales no sence pushing it

lavarok

on the form it actually says military vehicle 30 years or older
Wrong!! I dont know why you continue to argue this fact. I'm only posting this so other FL members are not confused like you. See the attached jpeg which is the latest revision dated 03/12 of form 83045 with the appropriate section circled in red. The box you want to check is next to "A Former Military Vehicle (may choose either type plate listed below, regardless of the vehicle’s age)."

As I already said, the form makes this very clear...a former military vehicle is AGE EXEMPT.

In fact, the grammar used in the statute is very clear in this regard:

"The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which..."

This subject of the sentence is "owner of" with three modifiers:

a] an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus
b] former military vehicle
c] other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older

The "30 years old or older" does not apply to each modifier only the last listed item.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can assure you that former military vehicles are exempt from the age requirement. If you want to wait, go for it but the law is very clear on the subject. I have an 86 M1008 with that type of registration. Members of the First Florida Chapter MVPA helped craft that law. I even carry a copy of 322.086 just in case someone needs to see it.

TacticalDoc

Wrong!! I dont know why you continue to argue this fact. I'm only posting this so other FL members are not confused like you. See the attached jpeg which is the latest revision dated 03/12 of form 83045 with the appropriate section circled in red. The box you want to check is next to "A Former Military Vehicle (may choose either type plate listed below, regardless of the vehicle’s age)."

As I already said, the form makes this very clear...a former military vehicle is AGE EXEMPT.

In fact, the grammar used in the statute is very clear in this regard:

"The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which..."

This subject of the sentence is "owner of" with three modifiers:

a] an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus
b] former military vehicle
c] other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older

The "30 years old or older" does not apply to each modifier only the last listed item.
sounds good. the way its worded on there makes it look like it's 30 years or older but on the FL statute it describes military vehicles are exempt

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can assure you that former military vehicles are exempt from the age requirement. If you want to wait, go for it but the law is very clear on the subject. I have an 86 M1008 with that type of registration. Members of the First Florida Chapter MVPA helped craft that law. I even carry a copy of 322.086 just in case someone needs to see it.
What Kenny said.

I have done the Permanent Antique tag four times. Two of them are on 1985 year trucks, a M1028A2 and M929. I also carry a copy of the statute in case I get stopped, mostly because it also says I'm not required to display the tag and I don't expect LEOs to know every statute.

The only permanent tag you can walk in and get at the local tag office is the Permanent Antique tag for a 30 year old vehicle. Most of our trucks are too heavy for that as the weight limit is low, I think only 5,000lbs.

You have to mail in the form, don't waste your time trying to get the tag at the local tag office.

Captaincarrier

Tallahassee does not know how to deal with these trucks. My experience took over three months, countless phone calls, money orders and then finally after the right person said "Oh, this has taken way too long". Just hang in there...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tallahassee does not know how to deal with these trucks. My experience took over three months, countless phone calls, money orders and then finally after the right person said "Oh, this has taken way too long". Just hang in there...
My experience has been different. Like Ray, I've registered 4 trucks in this manner. The first one was done locally but they forced it through as a fire truck before the MV stuff was updated in their computer. I was fully armed with info and expecting a fight from Tallahassee when I did my first by mail. I did include lots of documentation. It was only a couple of days before my check cleared and the tag showed up a few weeks later without a fight. I think they are getting better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks