• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a new led headlight for the cucv

Anubis8472

Just a note on silverstars and the like:

They are just set in the factory to burn brighter at the expense of bulb life. Not a big deal for the price but its the same thing that would happen if you turned up the voltage on a normal set.

I once had an awesome link to a writeup about all this stuff from a guy that designed the HID housings for visteon or one of the other OEM suppliers but I can't find it. But the gist is what was already mentioned - the HID bulbs really only work if they're put in a housing designed for them. The light source of the HID is geometrically different than that of a halogen so the light doesn't reflect properly. You really need a purpose built reflector if you don't want to be like those kids at the mall.

I found this site when researching a motorcycle project: The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Not as easy as a straight drop-in replacement but adds to the unique-factor. :beer:
I like that site.
You could even do something as simple as a fill plate bolted acrost the headlight dish with these lights in a center cut-out. Lots of possabilities.

cmroles

I have silver stars and love'em.
I installed Sylvania Silverstars in January and tested brightness before and after with a LUX-meter (measures brightness).

What I measured was 480lux on the standard Halogen bulbs and 650lux on the Silverstars. This was a true 35% increase in brightness.

They may have a slightly shorter lifespan (mine are still going strong after almost a year) but they are definitely brighter.

islandguydon

JW Speaker 7x6 LED Dual Beam Headlight
pricey for sure but look cool less draw and will work with both 12/24v
Thanks, I like the headlights on her/the site.At $1,200 a pair I guess I am going to have to start saving my pennies and by Spring hopefully the price comes down or someone might let a pair go on e-pay for less by then.

Thanks for the useful post...!

Attachments

762luver

I've been running silver stars in my jeep for over 2 years and have not seen any degridation in the light output. I switched over to those after burning up my headlight swith in the dash after installing an H3 conversion.

I HIGHLY reccomend if you go the H3 route you install a relay kit to drive the lights so you won't fry your allready aging wiring.

Remember KISS is not a bad thing!

Good luck with your upgrade!

tim292stro

I hate to doubt, but when they say "US made CREE" and "DOT Approved"...

Okay it's looking like a China import for $40 more than China direct, and a blatant knockoff of J.W. Speaker to boot.

Just so you know, "DOT" does not approve anything. They define a specification (usually by adopting an SAE standard, in this case SAE J2650), and the manufacturer testifies compliance by imprinting a DOT mark on the fixture (and it should have an SAE "HL" mark [for LED headlight] if it follows any true standard). Should they get audited, they have to prove they tested/verified the fixture (not sure anyone is going to get on a plane and try and hold a chinese manufacturer accountable).

There are actually other options out there from reputable vendors, the Truck-Lite second generation 5x7's are about the same price and Grote/Maxxima share a headlight in the same price range ($150 each).