• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

j-bolts, fab/source/???

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it finally happened. The deuce [and USN motor whaleboat] are in storage here in NO, and on the last weekly status visit to check things and run the truck I left the bleeding accessory switch on. aua What with weekly visits, the batteries ran down. Pulled 'em for recharging, and the box and clamp frame for cleaning/re-finishing. I note that the j-bolts are corroded at the 'J' from ~40 yrs of wear+acidic corrosion. Still have about 40% remaining, but would like to replace 'em. Battery shop has lighter bolts that are too long and the 'J' is too short for the case and not flat. Heavy-duty truck place has nothing, and truck assembly enterprise same-same.

Search revealed one driver who fabbed. Nada mas. Do folks fab 'em, or is there a source for new ones.? Looked at a big fasterner place here, Eric's, White Owl, et al w/o success. Suggestions??

PS
Finding manufacturers of square-end hook bolts [they ain't j-bolts] that can supply 3/8- or 5/16-inch by 10-inch in a variety of materials and coatings. Seems it'll take some calls. More later.

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. The existing bolts are square-end hooks, not round-end js. MC's hook lengths are too short. Thanks for the attempt.

littlebob

Make some out of stainless rod. A vise Hammer, torch and die. I need to make a few for myself, and don't have one to copy.
PM me with some dimensions and a pic please.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all for inputs. Got a quote of manufacture...$15.43/8.52/2.10 apiece for 5/10/400 bolts, respectively. Memphis has 'em for ~$11, and the ones they have come with the rubber coating. Placed an order. Memphis calls 'em j-bolts...square-end hook bolt drew a blank.

Photo shows the wear and tear, and the remaining bit of rubber on the shank. Dimensions for anyone who wants to make 'em up.

Attachments

Last edited: