• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a reminder for Newbe's

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always leave the engine shut down out and locked when leaving the machine. This will help if the fuel control is getting sticky so it does not start in the WOT position.
Also if the shut down is left in and for some reason left in gear she will end up somewhere other than you parked it if it gets bumped or rolls on it own.

MDSA

Good advice. Hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of Deuces left in gear and ending up running away after being bumped. The multi fuel will also run backwards.

pitpawten

The multi fuel will also run backwards.
Meaning you could conceivably leave it in 1st and be bumped from the front causing the truck to drive backwards using first gear (due to the engine rotating backwards)?

Heard of that on detroit (I think it was) but not on the multifuel before.

My fuel shutoff does not lock in the out position like the throttle handle does and rather returns every time as soon as is released. Guess some bad ratcheting something or other, haven't looked yet.

Thanks for the heads up, would not have otherwise known it should have been locking.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is also why we never try and start a truck that has been sitting for a long time and the kill is in the run position. Here we need to first remove the two screws off the shut down cover and check the fuel control for free movement.
Yea better not to have it start than start and go to WOT for any amount of time.

steelandcanvas

Never a good ideal to leave a multi-fuel parked in gear. Using the parking brake and wheel chocks also help to prevent a "bump & run". And yes, a multi-fuel will run backwards, I accidentally did this years ago. I about pooped when I figured out what was going on.

Last edited:

m715mike

Never a good ideal to leave a multi-fuel parked in gear. Using the parking brake and wheel chocks also help to prevent a "bump & run". And yes, a multi-fuel will run backwards, I accidentally did this years ago. I about pooped when I figured out what was going on.

When the truck was bumped and ran backwards, was it in reverse or a forward gear?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the tranny is in a forward gear and it's bumped from the front, the engine could run "backwards" and the truck runaway "in reverse" - to the REAR.

If the tranny is in REVERSE and it's bumped from the rear, the engine would be "push started" and run "backwards" causing the truck to go FORWARD even though it's engaged in it's "reverse" gear in the tranny.

If you always leave your parked truck with BOTH the tranny and the transfer case in NEUTRAL then bump-starting is NEVER going to be a problem for you as there is no way for the wheels to turn the crank shaft.

So, did you say that you DID READ the Operator's Manual? Musta skipped that part, huh?rofl

Carry on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Neutral /Neutral is a good idea but the main point is leaving the engine kill out and locked. When in doubt pull off the shut down cover and check the fuel control. This maybe should be a service that is done to a good running truck once a year just to see if the fuel control is starting to get sticky and catch it before is locks up. In most cases if it is just getting sticky the shut down cable will pull it to the shut down position. If it is locked up the cable might not get it pulled pack to no fuel. The other thing or trick is to make sure the little cable clamp thing that has the set screw make sure that is tight. Then right after the clamp thingy put a right angle bend in the wire. This might give the cable clamp a little more holding power if the fuel control is getting even worse than sticky and needs that extra pull on the shut down cable. Don't want the little clamp pulling off when you need it.

71DeuceAK

This makes me wonder something: (total Deuce newbie with limited experience). Trying to roll-start/push-start/bump-start (whatever you call it) one of these, is there high potential for engine "runaway" even if the injection pump hasn't been messed with? I've read some somewhat terrifying Deuce engine "runaway" stories. I know the PS magazines strongly advise against roll-starting.

(Hope it doesn't sound like a silly question). :lol:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This makes me wonder something: (total Deuce newbie with limited experience). Trying to roll-start/push-start/bump-start (whatever you call it) one of these, is there high potential for engine "runaway" even if the injection pump hasn't been messed with? I've read some somewhat terrifying Deuce engine "runaway" stories. I know the PS magazines strongly advise against roll-starting.

(Hope it doesn't sound like a silly question). :lol:
Not silly. Most people over think the IP. It does not take anything but to inspect the fuel control under the shut down cover once and a while. Does not need valves or some kind of air dam. The run away would most likely happen if the shut off cable was left in the run position. When the truck is not running and the shut down is in the fuel control is at WOT so it will start. As soon as the motor starts if all is correct the IP pulls it's self back to Idle and we have a smile on our face. Same with Detroit Diesels the rack sticks on start up.
When the shut down cable is left in the kill or pulled out then if the fuel control sticks we just get a no start. Then we get a thread my Deuce will not start.

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not silly. Most people over think the IP. It does not anything but to inspect the fuel control under the shut down cover once and a while. Does not need valves or some kind of air dam. The run away would most likely happen if the shut off cable was left in the run position. When the truck is not running and the shut down is in the fuel control is at WOT so it will start. As soon as the motor starts if all is correct the IP pulls it's self back to Idle and we have a smile on our face. Same with Detroit Diesels the rack sticks on start up.
When the shut down cable is left in the kill or pulled out then if the fuel control sticks we just get a no start and then we get a thread my Deuce will not start.
What does "WOT" stand for? Yep, I'm a M35 newbie too.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks