• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS-465-1A Intake Elbow

cruzinz28

I'm looking for information on the LDS-465-1 / LDS-465-1A / LDS-465-2 Intake Elbow that connects the Turbo to the Engine.

My Deuce currerntly has an LDS-465-1A engine in with a "D" Trubo. I was able to aquire the bigger Turbo that should have been on the LDS motors. The intake side of the New Turbo has an Inside Diameter of 2.2". The existing Intake Elbow on my truck has an Inside Diameter of 1.6". I could simply use a reducing rubber flange between the two, but I am sure this will hurt the flow.

I am open to opinions on this.

Will the reducing rubber flange restrict to much air?

I have the ability to adapt the exhaust side down as well, or should I increase the exhaust pipe size as well?

If anyone has pictures of the correct Intake Elbow, please post them.
AND If anyone has one they could part with, by all means PLEASE PM me.

Thanks! Jesse

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the correct intake elbow is a non-turbo elbow. For the exhaust, there is a cast piece out there. If you look at Sasquatchsanta's thread about installing an LDS motor in his truck, there is good pics of the turbo exhaust adapter. I just saw one at the Findlay rally, but did not pick it up. Sorry.

cruzinz28

I purchsed a NOS LDS-465 Installation kit not to long ago. I believe I have that cast adapter in the kit. I will look at it again tonight. Thanks for the help!

gimpyrobb

I'm not sure if its on your list, but the waste gate of the big LDS turbo occupies the same space as the bendix of the starter. Re-clocking the starter should remedy this issue, but I figured you should know. I have been working on doing this too so I know some of the "gotchas". I also want to mount one of the 5ton air filters on my fender, but that has a bunch of issues too.

cruzinz28

From what I have been able to find out on here, through TM's, and on the net a couple turbos turbos came on the LDS engines.

Schwitzer P/N 4LE-354 FOR LDS-465-1A
Schwitzer P/N 4-456 FOR LDS-465-1
Schwitzer P/N 4LE-456 FOR LDS-465-2

One of these turbos did have a wastegate. The one I have has does not have the wastegate. Talking to a representative out at Boyce, confirmed that they have seen my turbo and the waste gate model on trucks. When the Intake Elbow, rubber connector, and clamps get here the fun will begin seeing what else needs tweeked to make it fit. My turbo part number is 4LE-456 for LDS-465-2.

I'm alos debating on whether or not adapt the Intake Tube from the Turbo to the Air Filter Canister with a rubber reducer. I might increase the Intake tube all together to make sure I get more flow.

As for the origin of the turbo, I got a tip on its location from a friend and gobbled it up as fast as I could.

gimpyrobb

Ahh, some of my info might not be correct then. I was thinking the waste-gate turbo. I bet your talking about the 427 turbo like what Tmamerica has on his truck.

cruzinz28

I found this part number for the LDS-427 trubo

Schwitzer P/N 4D-454C FOR LDS-427-2

My part number is: 4LE-456

I beileive this turbo came on the LDS-465-2 motors. But could have been inter changed on any of the LDS motors. Researching these turbo's is a bear! I'm sure you know that already as well. If you have any information on this turbo I'd love to see it. The turbo is listed in:

TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2

gimpyrobb

If it was on the 465-2, it might be the same as the one on Bjorn's(Cranetruck) 8x8. Those made 210hp if I remember right. I don't have any info on my turbo, just know thats its good and going on the truck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this part number for the LDS-427 trubo

Schwitzer P/N 4D-454C FOR LDS-427-2

My part number is: 4LE-456

I beileive this turbo came on the LDS-465-2 motors. But could have been inter changed on any of the LDS motors. Researching these turbo's is a bear! I'm sure you know that already as well. If you have any information on this turbo I'd love to see it. The turbo is listed in:

TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2
The turbo for the 465-2 is pictured below. Description from the TM:

"The unit (=turbo) is dual chambered and was designed specifically for this engine (=465-2) to provide proper air flow at all engine speeds."

Attachments

Last edited:

cruzinz28

cranetruck:

Thanks for posting the pictures! I posted pictures of my turbo as well. It appears I have this turbo. I believe you have this turbo on your 8x8. Could I get your opinion on how well the motor runs and pulls? I hear these turbos spool up quicker at low rpms. My current "D" turbo will produce 12 psi right now when needed. It has been like this since I bought it.

I will be installing this on my LDS-465-1A. Yes, I was a lucky and my truck came with the motor already. I have a pyro installed and once I have the turbo installed I will be experimenting with turning the fuel up as well.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can gain boost, by increasing the max fuel rate.

I honestly think that any of the turbos on the multi fuels perform about the same(no noticeable difference).

Tuning is the key.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck:

Thanks for posting the pictures! I posted pictures of my turbo as well. It appears I have this turbo. I believe you have this turbo on your 8x8. Could I get your opinion on how well the motor runs and pulls? I hear these turbos spool up quicker at low rpms. My current "D" turbo will produce 12 psi right now when needed. It has been like this since I bought it...
How much can be attributed to the turbo is hard to tell without testing the engine with different turbos, but Continental must have had their reasons.
The truck is very responsive, but then the horsepower to weight ratio is better than for most MVs. The xm757 weighs less than my crane equipped deuce.

cruzinz28

I will try my best to compare my "D" Turbo (Currently Installed) with the 4LE-456 Turbo I will be installing soon. I do have a Pyro and a Boost Gauge to make notes from. I will be sure to do a test run down the same section of road as well.

Weight wise I'm sure I am at an advantage compared to most guys looking for this set up since my truck is a bobber. I'll be posting the progress as soon as I have all the parts in hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks