• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Less than 18 months and under 1,000 miles my axle boots failed.

V8srfun

Just did a pre flight inspection on the truck for its first drive this year after winter. Unfortunately I noticed that my axle boots are heavily dry rot cracked and leaking grease. I purchased what I thought were supposed to be the best silicone boots available but… I am not happy about the idea but I may end up putting zipper boots on the truck as I simply don’t have the time to tear it all down right now. Needles to say I am a little bummed out.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did a pre flight inspection on the truck for its first drive this year after winter. Unfortunately I noticed that my axle boots are heavily dry rot cracked and leaking grease. I purchased what I thought were supposed to be the best silicone boots available but… I am not happy about the idea but I may end up putting zipper boots on the truck as I simply don’t have the time to tear it all down right now. Needles to say I am a little bummed out.
Chinese made? For some reason I seem to recall some kind of issue like that.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If they were NOS (New Old Stock) parts, problem could have just been stored in unconditioned space. Not especially with good temperature and humidity control - and in the dark - not exposed to UV (think fluorescent lighting).

Just a guess.

Or like @John S-B suggested where maybe you got a really good price and the parts you bought "weren't from around here" maybe? Hope not...

rustystud

There where a whole lot of "Bad" silicone axle boots from China a few years back. They would fail after just a few days ! Some would get a years worth of use, then failure. Supposedly there was some company making them here in the good old USA out of quality material. I cannot remember their name but "Ouverson" sold them . Maybe they still do.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've given up on best price.
Also, some surplus dealers charge too much for handling.

HDN

I'm sticking with zipper boots so that when this does happen I don't have to take the front end apart at shorter intervals than actually needed :)

In the mean time make sure those knuckles are greased. My boots are torn too and I can at least see they're well-greased :D

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter