• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for real on road weight specs for a m1102 trailer ?

sweetk30

long time member some time poster . nice to see the site still going strong .

i got a m1102 trailer that was just a frame with a plate on the deck and fenders . i was planning to pop a pickup dump insert on it for a home made dump trailer on the cheep . it is a 8lug on 37" h1 rims / tires unit also .

what would the true on road max weight be ? i recall people over the years saying all military stuff is 1/2 spec off road rated so on road it can haul 2x as much .

i figured i better ask here first as you guys and gals are the PRO'S on these items . thanks for any help and again love this site for the info and pics and projects .

Jeepadict

Food for thought:

Wether Uncle Sam under-rated the capacities or not, the GVWR stamped on the tongue tag is the legal disclosure of what the manufacturer says it can safely weigh and stop fully loaded. This is often discarded in the non-CDL world, and is a moot point for most folks most days...but overloaded beyond the manufacturered GVWR becomes a very hot topic post-fatality accidents. Nobody knows what will happen around the next turn, so that's my urge to stay within the ratings.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as physically, everything I've seen points to the axle being an actual 7k axle, and the brakes on it are what would be used on a 7k/axle trailer. The tires are a thing, although with E-rateds at 80psi you can get around 3500lb/tire rated, so with 10% tongue weight, you can hit 7k without being over tire rating.

I'm not an engineer, I don't know what the undercarriage is capable of, but compared to most 7-10k trailers, I'd imagine "a lot" is a decent guess... most aren't even using tubing, let alone 2.5x4 I think it is, with at least 0.188" wall.

The only 2 things I can think of physically that'd maybe be a worry are the axle mount stock, and the tongue. The axle drop brackets are aluminum and are 5" below the frame. And the tongue... simply because basically no other 5k+ trailer uses a straight tongue. Granted it's braced, and it's pretty strong compared to most, but it's maybe one of the weaker points.

All that said, consider the legality. Can do it, and whether it puts a target on your back in a courtroom if something were to happen are 2 different things. More practically, I think you also want to shift your balance point back of you're wanting to go heavy - as it is, you've got like 10' of tongue & trailer in front of the spindle, and like 2' behind it.