• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to Deuce in Wisconsin

nchittendon

Greetings all from Wisconsin!

I am looking to get a deuce. I have only been cruising the internet for them, and have found quite a few I am interested in.

What am I looking to do with a 2.5? I am hoping to get a plow on it. I also am hoping to help promote my business here. I am the owner/operator of a local Paintball business, and we are looking to open an indoor field also for playing during the winter time for those fare weather folks. I don't currently have a truck of any kind, so it would be used for hauling, plowing, etc. I would love to participate in parades, and I am always looking for something to restore/tinker with.

I just put in 10 years over the road truck driving, and in 2008 found out I had cancer. Now I am home every night with my son, and I think it would be a cool hobby for him and I to get into. What better rig to learn how to tinker on, than a deuce!? lol

I have a close friend who used to wrench at Ft. McCoy just down the road, and he is all too excited for me to get into one as well.

Currently, I have been cruising the SS site and have learned quite a bit about my lovely state of Wisconsin, and it's laws regarding MV's. I also learned that a crew cab deuce is AMAZING. And, no offense, but a bobbed rig isn't quite my style. I have learned that there is a continuing battle to change the laws in our state, and I would love to help fight that battle! With over a million safe miles on our naiton's highways, I'm sure I can contribute to the safety cause.

I have been surfing the web and have found a couple different places to get myself into a rig......

~ there is a guy fairly local (near Clear Lake, WI) that has a posting online and is selling a couple. However, just like anything in Wisconsin, are these things going to be rust buckets?

~ 100dollarman? I am willing to fly to California, but I refuse to trailer anything if I can help it. I would buy a one way ticket, and want to drive it home. Not sure of the legalities of such an adventure, but I will do my homework if I were to go that route.

~ while driving OTR, I passed a place many many times in Iowa, on I35 at exit 193 near......lol, I'm pretty sure Clear Lake. Weird. Just noticed that two of my "hot spots" for these trucks are in a "Clear Lake." Anyways, west side of the interstate, there are a few large sheds with a hand full of different rigs. I have never stopped, only oogled. I have no real way of getting a hold of them either.

~ TNJ Murray is another one I've scoped out. Seems a bit high priced, but again, I'm new to this game, so that is mere speculation at this point. That, and the trip would be a concern again.

If anyone has any insite on any of these places, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'm going to shut my yap, and go cruise the site some more and see what I can learn!

Thank you for having such an awesome place!!!

Welcome to the site. MV's are all around the area, now that you are looking, you will see what I mean. I bid on a real nice M35A2 complete with fording kit, from the city of Lacrosse, just this last fall. Some of my trucks and trailers are from Onalaska, most were bought out of McCoy.
Good luck with your quest.

motomacguyver

Just got a decent one from Government Liquidation. From Fort McCoy. Only about 60? miles from you. The waiting and the paperwork take a LONGGGG time Probably 3 months from start to finish. (I'm not finished yet) auction closed dec. 27 th. But you can go and preview the trucks. Ask intelegent questions, lots of them, because if you don't ask they won't tell. However I had a good experiance with the folks there, And mine Data from what they DON'T say.

lacoda56

Welcome! Good luck with finding the right truck or trucks. Seems one is never enough. I wouldn't be too worried about rust unless the truck was used by a town or county as a salt shaker. If at all possible, a personal inspection is best. Also, keep in mind these are old trucks. Extended road trips require extensive preventative maintenance and/or a well equipped chase vehicle. Any type of leak with single circuit brakes means you're not stopping. A burned out wheel bearing or a blown tire on the steer axle can be a major disaster. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be safe!:driver:

kennys@wi.rr.com

Hello and welcome to the site. I don't want to dampen your spirt here, however, in WI there may be an issue with trying to use the deuce as a plow truck. Here is the link to the DOT check the site out for better information. Also, if you have never driven one before you may want to rethink flying to the other side of the nation to drive one back. I too was an O/O for a long time and I can assure you they ride nothing like a road truck. I do encourage you to find others in your area that will maybe let you get some wheel time or even take the short trip to PoofStock this April and get to know some of us and have a chance to crawl around many different trucks. You never know what kind of friendships an event like this can lead to.
Again welcome to the site, welcome to the hobby and keep us posted with what you decide to do.

nchittendon

Thank for the warm welcome folks! And don't worry about discouragement, sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I could use a little realism.

And thanks for the type Kenny. I drove to south Georgia to pick up a RHD show car that was a manual. Never drove on the wrong side of the car before. Yet, hauled ass down there, picked up the car, and drove home. All in 3 days. On the tail end of the trip coming home, near northern Illinois, we hit some nasty slushy snow crap, and rode that all the way home. Learning experience, to say the least. lol

low profile speed rated tires<snowy road. lol

skinnedknuckles

I may be willing to sell one of my deuces ,no not my short one - thats too much fun to drive.:D Its actually the one in my avatar picture. No the green engine container is not the reason why the front tires are off the ground, if you look close you can see the chains on the front its being lifted with a loader. let me know if you are interested
Paul in Janesville, Wis

nchittendon

So I assume that would be the 71 without winch in your signature?

What are the ups/downs of the 71's compared to others? Is there a "bad-apple" deuce that one should avoid at all costs? Like a model run that is just chock full of problems? I would hate for one of those to be my first, and get me turned off to the hobby......

Thanks again for the welcome!

kennys@wi.rr.com

It pains me to say this, because personally I like the look, avoid the A3. They have transmision problems and won't go much over 50 mph. Other than that they are all pretty much the same. Just decide if you want a turbo or nonturbo, then a C or D turbo.

lacoda56

Aww Kenny, quit bashing the a3! Besides the allison trans and the junk cat motor, the ugly looks, and the ctis, the a3 ain't all that bad. I'd take one as a gift, but that's the only way.

nchittendon

Info noted. Stay away from the a3. :beer:

Just took my first trip around Government Liquidation site.........I'm near Ft. McCoy in Sparta, but their selection is limited. They seem to typically have the a3 that I should avoid.......bummer.

Second hand seems like the best alternative.

Thanks again guys. Back to my reading/self-educating.

Closed minded arrogance and ignorance aside, either the A2 or A3 are great trucks. If you are planning on super singles and air assist steering, the A3 is hands down the way to go. If you like the duals in back and a manual trans go with the A2.

Last edited:

nchittendon

So, a quick history on myself, if I may.....

I have restored a 64 Chevy Impala SS, sold that to buy my first house.

I moved on to newer "import" style cars. The one I'm selling to fund my new venture (the deuce), is my right hand drive CRX glasstop. Most everything on this car is not available in the USA. Most had to be imported from Japan.

I still have the CRX, and have won some national car shows with it. But the latest little venture was my Honda Ruckus moped. I bought it new, disassembled it, stretched it, put some of my own custom touches on it, then through my business, had some of the pieces "dipped" in Multicam.

The CRX is going down the road, and I am jumping into the HMV scene feet first with a loud HOORAH!

My other hobby is also my business, paintball. I've been 'ballin for 18 seasons now, going on 19.

A few pics attached to get know .....me.

Attachments

nchittendon

A couple of years ago when this thread was started I was looking for a deuce. I was kind of let down by the Wisconsin laws regarding usage, and I kind of steered away. As of late, I have taken notice to the change in the laws to include "occasional personal use" which excites me. There also happens to be one right here in my back yard. And the price is perfect. I believe I am finally taking the plunge.......now I just have to get momma on my side.