• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost Power and Quite a Bit of Grey Smoke

ssdvc

Went to pick up some mulch today with the 09. On the way there, I lost 80% power. No matter how hard I pushed that pedal down, she just putted along. Pulled up to get my bags of mulch and while I was waiting the engine died. Started it back up and all was good. Then, while driving and almost home (about 3 miles) she lost power again. After I pulled in the driveway and parked, I put her in neutral and pumped the pedal a bit. I got lots and lots of grey smoke and she was running rough.

Anyone know what the possible causes are? I am thinking a possible IP issue or fuel filter. Truck sat for about a year while I was "vacationing" overseas.

Thanks.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally if it would be filters you would just lose power, but since you have grey smoke I would lean a little more towards possibly water/coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Is it possible you had a lose headbolt? If that is the cause you then blew the gasket out of it, hence the grey smoke. I am not say that it could not be an IP issue but an IP issue would again not account for the grey smoke, BLACK smoke from getting to much fuel would be more of an IP sign. All possibilities for sure but in my opinion it would not be filters!
KK

ssdvc

OK, changed the fuel filter. Oh, and I filled it up with a little diesel before I installed the new one, let it sit a minute then quickly installed it. Has to crank it 4 or 5 times, but she started right up and functioned well.

That said, it didn't fix the problem. Now she is blowing smoke even at idle (didn't do this before) and now she dies in about 3 minutes. Zero power. Smoke smells like diesel exhaust and I can see no signs of leaking coolant/anti-freeze anywhere. Checked oil and nothing milky there either.

Am I going to have to pull the heads? How hard is it?

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks