• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lost the button from the hydraulic head

TexAndy

They use the same design, it is different parts. The generators use fixed injection timing, automotive applications always have adjustable timing. Generators only vary injected quantity.

But yes, the Ambac injection pumps are of the same basic design.

Dang, and you were the one I thought I heard that from too.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been re-reading HH and BUTTON threads - as time permits - and have not yet located the PART NUMBER for the Button, nor a current Source to buy one/some/bulk.

Any help would be appreciated. It's about time I get the Deuce operational again.

Thanks!

TexAndy

I've been re-reading HH and BUTTON threads - as time permits - and have not yet located the PART NUMBER for the Button, nor a current Source to buy one/some/bulk.

Any help would be appreciated. It's about time I get the Deuce operational again.

Thanks!

If you haven't run your deuce in a year or more, remember to take the cover off the IP/throttle thingy and make sure the lever moves freely. If it doesn't, take it apart and clean it with pro-shot copper solvent.

In my experience, this is one of the biggest showstoppers of deuces that haven't been run in awhile. Easy to check, too.

I'm sure you knew this/are on top of it, but it's something that bears repeating...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you haven't run your deuce in a year or more, remember to take the cover off the IP/throttle thingy and make sure the lever moves freely. If it doesn't, take it apart and clean it with pro-shot copper solvent.

In my experience, this is one of the biggest showstoppers of deuces that haven't been run in awhile. Easy to check, too.

I'm sure you knew this/are on top of it, but it's something that bears repeating...
I appreciate that advice.
The HH is already disassembled - the clip that holds the button in place failed. The button was subsequently damaged while if flopped around inside the housing.
HENCE, while it's all tron down, I'd like to install a fresh button.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey,
The shut off lever is NOT a switch....................

I just wanna know how the OP shut the engine down that last time.
Before He found it "broke" on the next startup try.

....As in manipulating the pull out handle/cable attached to the ???
What was the instantaneous stroke {movement thru time passing} of the shutdown lever.?

There is not a lot of people that know all that happens when one
just yanks out the cable as opposesed to taking 2 to 4 seconds to pull it
until engine fuel cut off.

All that happens [in the sequnce] is not written but I know that a few
out there really know what goes on in that instance
but no explanation forthcoming

the freakin button is spinning how fast?

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That injection pump is in alot of stuff, isn't it? I asked the guy something along the lines of "have they stopped making them?" and he said "I don't think so. At least, there's no note to not re-order."

Anyways, with a little creativity you could probably fab a decent replacement for that clip.

Alot of the other stuff would be a nightmare to make. The plunger itself, especially.

Crazy thought... I wonder if anyone has tried using an arduino or other cheap PLC to control an electronic injection pump? Something like that might be an alternative to the stock gear driven pump someday, when parts truly start to dry up. Assuming any unventilated LDT-465 blocks are left by then!

Yeah
We all would like to know that when Ambac "reorders" then where does the order go to? where is the blueprints they work from. Machines probably date back the 1950's

Where is it?

Last edited:

rustystud

Actually one of the best things to do to prevent the button from coming off the plunger is to take the top nut off the Hydraulic Head and squirt some lubricant like "PB Blaster" in the hole. This will help lubricate the plunger in it's bore which can stick after setting for a long period of time. What I have found is the plunger will stick at the top of it's stroke due to gummy fuel deposits allowing the button to come off. Normally the button is under constant pressure from the plunger spring, but when the plunger sticks at the top it creates a "air space" between the button and piston. If the button retainer is weak or broken it will fall off. A little note about that button. It must stand constant pressure and rotational forces from the plunger. It is a "precision" piece of hardened concave metal that would be hard and expensive to "reproduce" today.
Now of course the throttle shut-off can and will stick and it is a good idea to shoot a little "PB Blaster" at it before start-up after a long sleep time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks