• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 817 dump bed on a Deuce

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a friend that would like to put a 817 dump bed on a Deuce so has anyone done this or know the problems. I know the pto is not going to work as is or wrong side The control linkage will have to be thought up. I did have a M817 that had a pto and and pump in one unit and a plate modified that bolted up to where the stock pump went. I should have took pics of the plate and the whole set up as it was done right from the Military. Thanks

KsM715

It's been done. There is a guy not to far from me that did it. (I have posted pics). Instead of messing with a PTO he mounted a small gas engine in the spare tire space behind the cab to run a small hydraulic pump.

0317121513.jpg0317121513a.jpgThe gas motor is in the little boxbehind the cab

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks that is a good idea on the poney motor. The Deuce frame rails are 11' 4" and the bed 12' The 5 ton 817 frame rails are 9' 4" and bed is 10' 5'' so it will fit.

abh3

Did it and it's worked for me for years. Used the hard to find rear output PTO and moved the stock dump-bed pump over to the left hand side by fabbing some plates that took hydraulic hoses and hung the pump on the frame. The M35 frame had to be shortened a bit so the dump bed could do it's vertical dump thing, really handy w clay, wet stuff, etc... Yes, the 5 ton bed is heavy but it's also tough. never a bad thing for a woodland dump truck. My avatar is a pic of this very rig...

Seven or eight years later the only problem has been the stock rear springs have sagged a bit but not enough to create an issue. If I had any get up and go anymore I'd rebuild the spring packs and add a few leafs, have new U-bolts bent up, etc... I've learned that tired and dry-rotted dog-bones will cause you some grief in off-road dump truck operations with lots of suspension travel. The stock tires have little sidewall strength so be careful around rocks and debris, I put a lot of dolomite into wet areas for access roads, it doesn't take much of a chunk left on the approach to ruin a tire when loaded. When in the woods I tend to stay in low-range but I use the transfer case range to get going otherwise, starting in low range & then shifting TC up and dropping back on the trans kinda like a semi.
And when you get stuck USE THE BLOCK WHEN WINCHING!!! :deadhorse:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks