• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 6.2L Diesel. To Turbo or to Replace?

adperrak

Hello everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 1984 M1008 monster (see my avatar).
My beauty’s heart is an old heavy 6.2L diesel engine that struggles to turn the 38" tires.

I hereby seek your advice on the subject dilemma.
Should I install a relatively expensive turbo kit I found online that promises +50hp or should I just replace the entire engine and trans with something stronger?

Whoever thinks I should just go ahead and replace the engine, please let me know exactly which engine should I look for. Since I am not so sure the M1008 can accommodate just any GM engine.

Thank you guys!

:deadhorse:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any small or big block should be a bolt in swap. The turbo will wake up the 6.2 but ultimatley you need to decide which is going to best for you, especially since your in Greece and may have supply issues. I'm rather happy with the low power 6.2 for my application. I wouldn't rush off to change the transmission either, it has a 400 turbo and they are a plenty stout transmission. Welcome to the Steel Soldiers family.

adperrak

Any small or big block should be a bolt in swap. Welcome to the Steel Soldiers family.
Fist I would like to thank you for your reply. Have you got any engine in mind? How about the all powerfull Duramax 6.6L? Could I fit this? Will my trans cope? Anything I need, I just go ahead and ship it directly form the States. Customs is a headache but hey... passion has it's price.[thumbzup]

It's good to be member of such an intresting and well organised forum.;-)

skidder

YES, Welcome to the MV family. 6.2 diesel , You can put a set of tuned headers cerramic coated or alu. coated w/large exhaust pipes to to mufflers . The header people tell me the difference in power between the tubro kit an a set of headers is 10-12 HP.

nattieleather

Hello and welcome. Ah the age old question to swap or not to swap? Yes a Duramax 6.6 sould be a bolt in application, but you may need to make some modifications. I would seak further advice on other sites about this also. The Dodge Cummins 5.9 liter 6BT will fit in the truck and has been done before, but you will have to make sure you get the right adaptors to place the motor mounts and to hook up to the Th400 transmission. Not a difficult swap, but not a simple bolt in. Also a 6.5 Liter GM turbo diesel would be the easiest swap since it is basically the same motor. That's it for diesel motors is think.....

Now if you wanted to go to Gasoline then you have a whole bunch of motor and performance options you could go with...as stated just about any small block or big block Chevy/GM V8 will bolt right in.

Good luck with your project.

bubba_got_you

I say turbo,

• The 6.2 diesel is a very good motor if you treat it right
  • It is efficient on fuel
  • Parts are cheep
  • They are simple to work on
[FONT=&quot]Now if you have the cash id go with a 6bt Cummins. But if you don’t want to spent that much cash then I say turbo the 6.2 do free flow 4” exhaust 6.5 injectors and IP. And you will have a stout motor. Now you don’t have to get a kit for the 6.2 you can buy a turbo and manifolds off a 6.5 and just bolt them on.
also welcome to SS [thumbzup]
[/FONT]

Tanner

Okay....

The 6.6 Duramax is most definitely NOT a 'simple bolt in' - it has computer controls for the engine & transmission, and is not cheap.

The 6.2 is fine for what it is designed to do in the truck - you might consider regearing the axles & and engine refresh, if it has low compression issues. If the engine is getting weak, the addition of a turbo setup will find the next 'weak-link' in the drivetrain chain.

I'd recommend that you first determine if your current diesel engine is in good condition.
Good injectors?
Injection pump in good shape?
Compression good?
New filters?

'Tanner'

sarge1

I like the thought of the 4bt Cummins. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they make considerably more torque than the 6.2 and fit better than the 6bt. They also won't wreck your trans but the adapter for it is pretty pricey unless you can find a good deal on one off a bread/Frito truck. This is the swap I'm most interested in. I really haven't looked into this too much because my engine for now seems to be running well, but I'm just thinking about in a year or two. Seems like a good low budget replacement based off the little I've read on it.

Like was said earlier, I think putting a duramax in would be an awful lot of money and not very compatable with what your truck can handle. If you have a big budget though, and think dropping several thousand on a 25+ year old truck is acceptable then go for it, but you will probably be amazed at how much collateral work you will have to do also. The same could be said for the 6bt Cummins.

I'm not nearly as knowledgable about this as many of the other members, just offering my opinion.

67_C-30

YES, Welcome to the MV family. 6.2 diesel , You can put a set of tuned headers cerramic coated or alu. coated w/large exhaust pipes to to mufflers . The header people tell me the difference in power between the tubro kit an a set of headers is 10-12 HP.

No, they are telling you wrong on this. While headers will improve performance, they will not come producing the same amount of power as adding a turbo. You have to increase the fuel to create more power, and you cannot turn the fuel much at all on a 6.2 without increasing airflow via forced induction.

On the 4BT, they are a tough, well built engine, but without significant mods, they won't produce much power than a turbo'd 6.2. They have to be turned up quite a bit just to equal a turned 6.2. Here is thread on turned up 4BT dyno results.

Post Your "IN CHASSIS" 4BT Dyno Results to this Thread

The 4BT is also a pretty vibrating engine. They do not run smooth like a 6BT, and come nowhere close to being as smooth as a 6.2. They will take more abuse than a 6.2 though, and they are tough as nails.

67_C-30

Greek dude, the cheepest power boost is swaping out the injectors for the 6.2 marine injectors. most claim 40-50hp boost

Not true...

The only advantage of the marine injectors is if you have the a maxed out or modified IP. If you do that, then you also need the turbo as well, because the extra fuel cannot be added without forced induction to keep the EGT's and temp down. I added marine injectors to the turbo'd Hummer 6.2 in my '67 C-30, and the power difference was very modest. It has a llittle crisper throttle response, but it wasn''t worth the money for the gain it netted.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271539&highlight=marine+injectors

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257405&highlight=marine+injectors

Last edited:

transman

When You start adding significant amounts of extra power to a 6.2 it would wise to look into lower end and cooling upgrades these "old school " motors can make respectable power.

adperrak

If the engine is getting weak, the addition of a turbo setup will find the next 'weak-link' in the drivetrain chain.

I'd recommend that you first determine if your current diesel engine is in good condition.
Good injectors?
Injection pump in good shape?
Compression good?
New filters?

Thank you for your post.
The engine at the moment works perfectly. However, in case I decide to go for the turbo kit I shall most definitely do a very thorough check up on all major components. What worries me most is the trans. Does anyone know if the stok 6,2 AT trans can cope with nearly double the stock torque?

P.S. Budget 5k

usmc320

I wouldn't worry about the transmission too much. People use them in drag racing applications all the time. It is a very strong trans with huge aftermarket support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks