• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 axles into a M1009

84cucv1ton

i know this has been covered. doing this with a buddy at my place. wanted to know. the m1008 axles have 28k on them. he want to know what we should check before we put them in.. with suck low miles dont see then needing anything really. just want to be sure.

we did the brakes already. new front and new disk rear. gear oil was clean when we drained it. nothing is leaking..

any other idea? thanks

Wolf.Dose

It is all said to this, exept you increase your rpm by about 50 percent at the same spped and you have to correct your tachometer for the diffenent axle ratio, if you want to stay within legal requirements. Add bigger tires f.e. 255/100R16 and the fault on the tachometer will be only about 36 percent.
Good luck!
Wolf

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Spring pads/perches on the 1008 14 bolt are narrower than the 1009 10 bolt. . .

Shock absorber brackets on the 14 bolt are in different locations. . .

Not a bolt in swap, unless you relocate the above mentioned items with a welder and torch.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

I did not read any note that said it is a bolt on job. For me it is clear that some adaptions have to be made. In this context, do not forget the move the rear axle brake power reducer also. Or your rear axle will overbrake. Otherwise you can reduce the wheel cylinder sice of the rear axle by 2 sizes. To my knowledge these cylinders are available.
Wolf

blzrgb

The rear driveshaft yoke on the blazer and the yoke on the 14bolt are different sizes. The caps are bigger on the 14 bolt.

Last edited:

12vctd

theres a 1350 conversion ujoint for putting your driveshaft back together, other than moving the alxe perches and shock mounting tabs its fairly easy to swap

StreetbikeDepot

I believe its a 1330 to 1350 u joint......Oriely's will have it in a Precision PN# 448.

I just put M1008 axles in my Jeep, they bolted right in, kinda crazy. All I had to change was my rear shock mounts. I converted my 14bolt to 1410 joint so I could use a deuce rear shaft in it (the one between the axles), worked good.

Last edited:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did this swap... make the m1008 axles look like the m1009 after that its a bolt on. I installed a ORD shackle lift with poly bushings and greasable bolts/pins at the same time. you might save youself some time if you plan out the swap and try to get all the mods done at the same time:wink:

91W350

Along the same lines, can we swap springs and all? Are the spring perches and shackle mounts different? Just curious and figured somebody here would know. ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe its a 1330 to 1350 u joint......Oriely's will have it in a Precision PN# 448.

I just put M1008 axles in my Jeep, they bolted right in, kinda crazy. All I had to change was my rear shock mounts. I converted my 14bolt to 1410 joint so I could use a deuce rear shaft in it (the one between the axles), worked good.
Is it a 1330 to 1350? IIRC it would be a 1310 to 1350 combo joint. Seem to remember 1330 joints in older 3/4 tons. A paste from Denny's Driveshaft;

What is the difference between 1310, 1330 and 1350 Series?
The "series" of a driveshaft or universal joint is determined by the actual dimensions of the u-joint. While the front and rear u-joint can be of two different sizes the shaft is only as strong as the smaller one. The 1310 series u-joint measures approximately 3 1/4 inches wide. The 1330 and 1350 both measure approximately 3 5/8 wide. The 1310 and 1330 series can have cap diameters of 1 1/16 and/or 1 1/8 inch or a combination of both sizes. The 1350 series has a cap diameter of 1 3/16 inch and the body and journals are bigger than the 1310 or 1330. Remember 1350 is almost never found in production car driveshafts.​

84cucv1ton

well we got the th400/ clocked 205 in. took forever! sliding off the jack. im getting a trans jack! got the 60 back with the locker in it. took us a while to get the crossover arm on but we did. 52" springs are in. 56" springs in the back. 60 is bolted up. with longer brake lines from napa. got the in bored shock mount on the frame. 14b we made a mistake on. didnt mark where the old perches where. cut them off.. thats where we are now.. for the drive shaft he has the ones from the m1008 going to use them.. front axle is moved up and the rear will be moved back. so the drive shafts will be worked on too. thats about it. cant believe how long this taking us. we are trying.

84cucv1ton

no pics yet. need a new camera. again

someone know how i find the right spot so we can get the perches welded? one thing holding us up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks