• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 oil light after 3 year hibernation?

reaper556

Ok as some of you may remember I posted about a truck (m1008.) I bought that had sat for 3 1/2 years without being cranked. In what little spare time I have I have replaced the battery's and some missing cable's and pumped out the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter and glow plugs, poured a bit of marvel mystery oil down the intake and spun the engine over by hand a few times.

This evening I finally got to pit the fire to the wires and after a little cranking I got the fuel filter primed and a time or 2 latter after that I had the first actual start of the engine. I let her run about 5 seconds then killed her. I have done these short runs up to about 10-15 seconds then shutting her down but I notice the oil light will not go out?

Where is the sensor for this and what else should I check? I'm not sure if the engine is actually running without oil pressure or not. The truck is a 1985 with 13'xxx miles

Should I just fire her back up and let her run a bit longer to get the oil better distributed thru the engine?

(Update in my last post)

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the sensor for this and what else should I check? I'm not sure if the engine is actually running without oil pressure or not.
The oil preassure sensor is on the back side of the engine next to the vacuum pump (think gasser distributor. You can get a manual gauge with an adapter and intall it in place of the sensor.

reaper556

My oil light will stay lit for ~5 secs after start up. Try revving the motor a bit.
Mine is staying on. The longest I have ran it yet at one time was about 30 seconds and I did blip the throttle a bit not a lot and the light still stays lit. Like I said im not sure it really isn't getting oil pressure or not. The valve train is a bit noisier than my other m1008 but this truck has sat for over 3 years so not sure if that could be a reason it is for the time being

reaper556

Update. Last night I poured the last 8oz of marvel mystery oil I had in the crankcase then fired it back up for about 8-10 seconds then shut it down. This morning I tinkered with the oil pressure sensor (mainly just looking at the wire connections figuring out what it would take to replace it. I decided to start her again this morning and low and behold after about 3-5 seconds I hear the valve train pressure up and get quieter and the light goes out :shrugs: .

I don't know if it was me tinkering with the sensor, the marvel mystery oil or just the fact by that time I had ran it enough combined times to get the oil all the way to the dry top of the engine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks