• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 or M35A2

JeffAS

I have had my M1008 for about 6 months now and I drive it every day but the more I look at the M35A2, I think I would like to have one

Barrman

The Green Iron Disease never rest. Just accept that, buy more stuff, save money, buy more stuff, repeat.

Are you asking which is best? That really depends on your mission requirements. The M1008 and a M35A2 have about the same cruise speed on the open road. Just the M1008 will do burst a lot faster than the 56 mph top speed of a M35A2.

Everything else is way different. Ear protection required on the duece, hard to park, not the best daily driver, bigger all mail order parts for the duece, 10 tires to buy and maintain, 10 gallons of gear oil and 5 gallons of engine oil plus 2 oil filters and 3 fuel filters to service the duece. 2 people can almost be comfortable in a duece. 3 will never be.

The CUCV is basically a Chevy truck with all the common daily things that means. However, nobody even gives me a double take while sitting at a traffic light in the M1009. While people driving by almost get in wrecks to look at the duece. Add in the more than double cargo capacity, multifuel ability and it all comes down to what you want to use the truck for.

DFD2010-A

All very good points posted above, I'll tell you from my experience with the "Green Iron Disease" I sold my M1009 and bought a M35A2....best choice I could have made. Unfortunately I'm suffering from withdraw waiting to get mine back from the shop (getting a bob job) but I wouldn't ever go back. I parked mine outside the title agency to run in and get my plates, came out there were 5 guys walking around it stepping up looking inside...they're curiosity magnets. My M1009 didn't get a second look outside of the camo pattern.

It's really all in what your looking to do with it...whatever you decide, good luck!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My results are the exact opposite.

I got tired of needing 'soldier B' to do a TON of stuff on the deuce.

I super singled mine and replaced the split rims with six lug budd wheels, which handle commercial 22" tires. So only six tires needed IF you do the super single conversion.

Instead of using the M1008 as a comparison vehicle, consider the M1028 dually. MONSTER truck. Can handle a bunch of weight. Add an M101a2 trailer and you now have at least the ability to carry ALMOST as much as a deuce without a trailer. At 65 mph my dually gets 10mpg, which is the best my deuce ever got and 65 mph, while easily achievable with the 22" wheels and Michelin radials, you still have to stop the beast at those speeds. And a panic stop in a deuce? Not gonna happen.

Even in my dually a panic stop is, uh, interesting to say the least. And if you were pulling a trailer, forget about a panic stop.

But I did sell my deuce and eventually now have two M1009's, an M1028a2, an M101a1 and an M101a2. Plus a spare 6.2, a spare TH400 and a spare NP208.

Like I said, I just got tired of all the extras. Extra expense, extra work, extra hands needed to DO said maintenance, etc.

And I get ALL SORTS of thumbs ups and looks and my dually (painted solid 383 Carc) is indeed a crowd pleaser and a crowd magnet.

But yeah, GID will get yah. And once bit, you just surrender. What's the best truck? What you want to get out of it? A daily driver? I'd stay with something smaller. BUT for a toy? NOTHING BEATS A DEUCE. So if you just gotta, GO FOR IT.

OH, one thing about owning a deuce. MAKE SURE IT'S KEWL TO PARK IT AT YOUR PLACE. Nothing worse than getting it home, only to be told 'you can't park that here' from the HOA or the NIS or whomever. So before dropping big bucks, do your research and make sure you can actually park it WHERE YOU WANT.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks