• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Glow Plug wait light won't go off, truck won't start

Wolfie

Hi, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst here...I have a 1986 m1009 and yesterday the "wait" light wouldn't go off...even after a few minutes. The gen 1 + 2 lights stayed on also. When I tried starting it, I was met with the temp light and it would crank and blow smoke, but not start. Haven't had any starting problems in 20 degree weather and yesterday it almost hit 50 here. Both batteries are only a few months old, so I'm guessing it's a glow plug related issue?

Wolfie

RE: m1009 Glow Plug wait light won

oooooh damn...no click...can the plugs get too hot and stick in these engines?

CCATLETT1984

ok grab a piece of wire and pop the hood. attach one end of the wire to the small terminal on the glow plug relay on the firewall that has the light blue wire attached to it. then turn the key to the "run" position and touch the other end of the wire to a good ground like the engine block. if the relay clicks then your controller is bad and you should follow the post for the manual plug conversion. if it doesnt click then your relay is bad.

Wolfie

eh, it's being towed to the local diesel guy...I don't have a garage or tools to work on it, (I change my own oil, etc but that's about it). Now I have the fun of finding the parts and hoping they can get the plugs out without any issues.

CCATLETT1984

One final thought. you might want to point your mechanic here to get the technical manuals for your truck. Its not the same as a civilian chevy. Much damage can be done by lack of knowledge.

Wolfie

Will do, he's had a few military vehicles so that might help...I'll need Wellman G070's for replacement plugs, (are these the no swell?) and probably a Borg Warner S55 relay right? something along those lines? I really hope the plugs aren't swelled up and stuck...ugh

Hoot_223

i have some AC60g no swell plugs for a cucv new forsale if u need some let me know

Wolfie

They think it's an electrical problem so far, (or several)...probably the same reason my taillights have blown out 3 times. yay! I have no idea if the previous owner or owners ever messed with the wiring.

Wolfie

2+ weeks and several hundred dollars later and I have my truck back and running, (with a manual button for the glow plugs). Turns out the last jackass who owned it previously royally screwed up the wiring and it was feeding back...I think the mechanic's words were along the lines of "just waiting to catch on fire". I guess the wrong rims are on there too because my lug nuts keep coming loose and falling off...not good. Is it easy to find the original rims for these trucks? will the regular K5 Blazer rims at a junkyard work? It's got huge swampers on it right now, I wouldn't mind going down a size or 2 so I don't need a ladder to get into the thing.

1986Blazerk5

Hi, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst here...I have a 1986 m1009 and yesterday the "wait" light wouldn't go off...even after a few minutes. The gen 1 + 2 lights stayed on also. When I tried starting it, I was met with the temp light and it would crank and blow smoke, but not start. Haven't had any starting problems in 20 degree weather and yesterday it almost hit 50 here. Both batteries are only a few months old, so I'm guessing it's a glow plug related issue?
This happened to me it is the glow plug relay i heared they have been known for going bad at 50,000 miles or so.

l1a1man

Mine flickers too once it is running, I watch my volt meter and it is not drawing any volts. I notice mine depending on my rpms will turn off and on. New card too.