• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Spare tire mount on grill brush guard?

cucvegas

Any recommendations about mounting a spare tire on the front or brush guard of a M1009?

Is the brush guard really strong enough to support a tire, and will it restrict radiator airflow too much, etc?

I saw this M1008 with a spare on the brush guard:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featu...icles-creeks-project-bov-truck-series-post-2/

Also, if it is a good location, any suggestions on which mounts to buy? I saw this on Amazon for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hold...=1481137997&sr=1-24&keywords=spare+tire+mount

Thank you!

LastFbody

I'd be curious to see if it's been done with favorable results. The stock setup eats up more interior space than I'd like, but I know it's not gonna cause an accident if it decides to fall off, which it wont.

Edit: deleted the 2nd paragraph after realizing I was incorrect.

Last edited:

Ordak

cucvrus

DSCF2265.jpgDSCF2262.jpgI would mount the tire to the front frame via a class 3 receiver (home made) and avoid all that stress on the brush guard and the bumper brackets. I beefed these front bumper brackets up because I have always seen the minor cracks in the bumper brackets. I added the second gusset to my bumper brackets.

LastFbody

Valid point, the bumper brackets aren't any different than a civilian Blazer aside from having a couple extra holes in them. The brush guard already weighs about 3-4 times more than the bumper by itself. Add ~60lbs of tire and wheel with leverage on those carriage bolts and you're gonna have a bad time. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

Last edited:

41cl8m5

A buddy had a late 80's Chevy 1 ton truck camper special that had the spare in front of the grill. Can't remember the mounting but it was a pita to open the hood and to do anything in the engine compartment. His truck had the 454 gas motor and a huge camper that extended about 2 feet past the long bed so having the spare on the grill was the logical choice. I'm just glad I never had to change out that beast of a tire, think about it flats never happen in wide open areas with concrete roadways and 75 degrees beautiful daytime hours, right?

Skinny

I don't see how mounting anything to a CUCV brush guard is a good idea other than lights or a hi-lift. They are pretty cheese as is. Adding a winch or tire does not seem like a good idea to the stock setup unless you are doing some serious reinforcing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks