• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering problem

my86m1009

I tried searching but couldn't find my exact issue. I will drive straight and go to switch a lane and its fine until I go to correct the wheel back straight. When I start turning the wheel it gets tight for a second then almost breaks loose and the truck jerks. Today it got a sort of death wobble till I stopped and steered back and forth and it went away. My truck does have loose steering. I was wondering if the gearbox needs to be replaced or if its something else?

Hasdrubal

Your front axle u-joints need replacing, they produce the very symptoms you're describing. A good wheel alignment shop will tell you if your steering box needs replacing, ask them where to source a quality rebuild. Beware of just picking one up from your local parts store. I did that and the rebuilt box had more play than my original worn out one. While you're at it replace the tie rods also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks