• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 top weather stripping

mr.travo

I searched for this topic and could not find it. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions and or pics that show this task? I am going to be redoing the entire weatherstripping in my 1009 since it just turned into my daily driver. Any help and tips would be GREAT! I would just like it to work just like it did from the factory. I am going to be lubing all the window channels as well.

Dmoser

I need to do the same thing on mine. weather stripping is all dried out ald doesnt seal right. have you done anything with it since you posted?

rjinga

Yes, please keep us posted. I haven't gone top-less yet, but I'm going to soon, and my weather stripping looks original.

SPCHowe

I've done this recently. It was a PITA! My topper didn't want to sit right after I set it back on with the new weatherstrip no matter how many times I repositioned it. It's not hard to do, just annoying. A lot of the old stuff didn't want to come off so I scraped it off using a flat sort of chisel thing. Then it's just a matter of trying to get the new stuff to fit like the old stuff did and glueing it down with some weatherstrip sealant. I'll see if I can get some pics up later of the truck topless.

mr.travo

I still haven't done this. I scrounged and ended up swapping the good weather stripping with Knocky. My passenger side is good to go, but the drivers side window channels need replacing and the dreaded vent window. Aside from that, the entire back half and tailgate needs replaced. THAT should be TONS of fun. I am looking to do it in the next month or so. I will probably do a write up with pictures to help others out. I am just trying to find a place that has them OEM spec. I have heard bad things about LMC being off by a mile when it comes to this stuff. The crappy thing is it's all probably made by the same Chinaman, just different company stamps on them.

SimonG

I was looking at doing this but have decided for now at least to just seal the topper on with silicone. After reading what a pain it is, think it can wait

mr.travo

Please post up when you do Eric. I am waiting to order for the top because I need to fix some rust and dents so I am not having to pull the top and put it back on multiple times.

combatmech

Travo, Changed the seals on my last truck with stuff from LMC. They did pretty good. I did have to add some sealant to the outside in one or two places though. I have yet to change the seals on my current truck.

mr.travo

I am adding up all the seals I need and MAN it's expensive! LOL! Right now I am up to $380 worth of rubber and still have a few more to add. This is going to be one of those "a little bit at a time" replacements. I am trying to pay off some debt so at the moment they have priority. After I tackle the rust spots on this Blazer I am going to be throwing a couple of hundred at it per month until she is tip top.

SGT Estum

I've been half-interested in replacing the stripping in the tailgate that goes on either side of the rear window. It's been a mystery to me how the heck you tetris both pieces in there AND have glass in between.

I'll be following this thread.

mr.travo

My guess is roll the glass down, pull out the old pieces and pop the new ones in. I know it will be a little tight once you put the news ones on, but it will settle and get easier over a couple of days (from what I have been told).

SGT Estum

My guess is roll the glass down, pull out the old pieces and pop the new ones in. I know it will be a little tight once you put the news ones on, but it will settle and get easier over a couple of days (from what I have been told).
I've taken outside-the-glass strip off before to facilitate removal of the back glass. It's got roughly 8 little clips (vertically) on it that go into horizontal slots on the tailgate metal. I had a **** of a time getting them back in...and that was with all the play of not having the inside-the-glass seal there. There's got to be a tool or something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks