• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Towing Mileage?

welpro222

What are you guys getting for MPG in a M1009 towing say 2000 to 3000 lbs? I know the M1009 are good for 20+ MPG in there stock form.

Im thinking about buying one of these, but I have a 75 chevy long bed trailer that I want to be able to tow with it and that weighs in about 1600 lbs dry.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
In stock Military form, the 1009 isn't really meant for towing, it has 3.08 gears and 10 bolt GM differentials, not the strongest units around.

I'd stick with your Sub if towing is what you have in mind.

Barrman

Here is my documented mileage from a trip a few months ago.

M1009 pulling a 1300 pound M101A2 with about 500-1000 pounds of gear loaded in the trailer and the truck. I drove 248 miles at gps regulated 60-62 mph in one run. Fuel station to fuel station. 17.8 mpg. The return trip was over some very steep mountains and such. Plus I didn't top off as soon as the trip was over. I drove another week in town and got 18.2 for that tank.

So, yes a M1009 will get good economy pulling a modest load on long stretches at moderate speeds. It will even pull a huge load at slow speeds. I just came in from dragging a non running M35 200 yards up a sandy hill with mine. However, 10 bolt axles, 3.08 ratio, what is basically a 1/2 ton suspension and compared to other miltary stuff. Very weak and flimsy looking hitch mounts. I would not pull much more than 2000 pounds total. Add in the short wheel base and things can get interesting in a hurry.

Having written all of that. My wife heard me talking about how good it did with the M101. She was asking me the other day if we could take a family camping trip to Colorado in it with the M101 to carry all of our stuff. It will be perfect for that kind of thing. Long distances with a lot of weight is going to lead to mechanical troubles and gasser range fuel economy.

Last edited:

dunedigger

My M1009 got 18 - 20 still pulling my 2,000 plus camper back and fouth about a 3 1/2 hour trip one way. It didn't do that good on hills and I kept it around 55 or just under. Biggest thing was with mine a brake controller was a must, i overheated the tranny and had to put in a tranny cooler. It felt like I was dragging a 2 story house with an anchor behind it but still good miliage for some reason.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are planning on towing that kind of weight regularly, you NEED at least an M1008 to do that. IT WILL handle that and more.

As has been said, the lighter weight M1009 was not designed for it. NOW, I have seen M1008 axles stuck up under an M1009, but I've always questioned the overall 'strength' of this type of conversion.

Now, if you want to tow a heavy load, look for an M1028.

But if you are going to tow occasionally - say less than once a month - ten times a year - for shorter distances (under 500 miles), I think the M1009 would get at least 12 -15 mpg, depending on your speed. The slower you are willing to go, the better your mileage becomes.

No sudden lane changes or lane movement side to side, drive SLOWER than the surrounding traffic and you will arrive safely. That, after all IS the overall goal.

Last edited:

2deuce

The short wheelbase is the factor that bothers me the most while towing. The short wheelbase will limit your speed and make 2 hands on the wheel and 2 eyes on the road imperative. I towed a car trailer loaded with a M1008 and got 8mpg over some mountains. If you have brakes on your trailer that is also very important. You don't want the trailer pushing you around. The brakes on the M1009 aren't meant to stop a trailer of any size.We all do what we have to at times but I would not buy a M1009 with towing in mind.

armytruck63

We all do what we have to at times but I would not buy a M1009 with towing in mind.
Amen to that! I tow an M416 trailer behind my M1009 with no trouble. I also have a small single axle car trailer that I use to tow my M274A5 mule. Again, no troubles with that load, except slow going up hills. Downshift to second as soon as your speed drops below 50 to help your transmission stay happy. If you drop below 25, downshift to first. Remember to downshift to keep the vehicle from running away from you on down grades.

I have helped my son move two dead cars in town with the Blazer and car trailer. One was a two door Ford Focus and the other was a four door Honda Accord. I could sure tell the Honda was heavier.

If I need to move something larger, I get a bigger trailer and tow it behind the deuce.

welpro222

My suburban is a 1/2ton with a 700r4, but setup for towing, thanks for the replies guys keep em coming.

Anyboby install a reese type hitch under the m1009?

dunedigger

I bought a new hitch, fit great. Just had to bend the safty chain loops up some to clear the hitch. Then remove the flat bar undernieth, I have a pictrue before it's done, Baically the hitch fit tight under where it bolted to the bar I removed, I drilled and taped the hitch and put bolts back in so the hitch took full replacement of the pitle support.

Attachments

SGT Estum

I just recovered an M101A2 from Ft. McCoy, WI, and towed it back to the twin cities area with my M1009. The trailer (with tarp and bows installed) was empty. My trip back averaged 14.7 miles per gallon. I drove roughly 57-60mph (per GPS) the entire route and I run 33x12.50R15 BFG AT/TA's.

I was a little disappointed with the mileage. Now I've got the itch to "slap on" a turbo.

Barrman

Wind resistance kills the M1009. I pulled my 2000 pound flat bed car hauler last March empty and it felt like it wasn't there for a 60 mile drive. Load 1 old pick up truck bed/converted trailer that stuck up into the air and I couldn't hold more than 52 mph pulling up some hills. No mpg numbers for that trip.

Going to the Spring TX Rally the same month had me pulling the 101 with the top on. 52 mph was all I could do against the wind. 15 mpgs for that trip. Which included several hours of off road crawling too.

Last July, my wife had a break down in our 2000 Suburban. I went to go get her with the M1009 and the flat bed. Winch and hitch troubles had her in the M1009 flat towing me in the Suburaban with the trailer attached to the Suburban. 48 mile drive and as long as she didn't try to drive more than 45 mph, the hills never slowed her down. No numbers for that trip either.

August had me pulling a 5x8 box trailer full of heavy stuff and 4 Scouts 130 miles round trip. 15 mpg with top speed around 65 for most of the drive.

However, since I changed the IP in the M1009 I have discovered comparing one 6.2 to another is like apples and oranges. It all depends on the condition of the pump. I had no problem with 65 mph as my top speed empty before. I had to push to run 70 on anything but flat ground, my mpg was great (20-22) on long trips at 60 mph.

I changed the pump and now keeping below 70 mph is a challenge. I did 140 miles Friday night on some really hilly, twisty roads. Attacked the hills to maintain no less than 69 going up and let it drift up to 73-74 going down the hills. 17.1 for that tank. I am trying to keep it below 65 mph for this next tank. Had to drive 70 miles last night and the thing has so much more power now found myself having to work pretty hard to keep it below 65. It wanted to run.

So, back to the original question. While pulling a big load is possible, it is not recommended due to wheel base, suspension, hitch and braking concerns. Go to a civi K5 forum and they will tell you 8K is a doable load. As long as it is long, low and flat with great surge brakes I guess you could. I wouldn't.

Mileage depends on load, wind resistance of the load, speed and the condition of your IP. 14-20 is the most it can be narrowed down in my opinion. A 5K pound led block in a M416 from Denver to OKC on I-70/I-35 might give you 20mpg if you ran 55-60 the entire trip. Turn around and gain that 5000 feet back would put you down around 14, maybe.

Barrman

She is still hurting from the wreck and getting better, but daily driving the M1009. She likes it. That is why I am having trouble getting good mpg numbers for it. She drives each stop light like a drag race oppertunity. If I know we are going to be doing some highway miles, I top it off, drive it myself and then fill it back up before she gets in.

I put the new pump on less than a week before she totaled the Suburban. Good timing on my part I guess. Thanks for asking.

jdeoliveira74

I tow with my m1009 pull a landscape trailer 6x12 loaded with weight probably close to 2500 lbs I get around 14-16 depending on speed and type of terrain if it has alot of hills its way worse

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks