• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 transfer case fluid

galeo7171

I know ATF fluid is supposed be used in the np208. I noticed a small leak coming front the transfer case skid plate and it was gear lube. I guess the police department that I got the truck from put the wrong stuff in. Should I get it out ASAP and replace it with ATF? I've also go to figure out where the leak is coming from, I do know its not the rear shaft seal.

martindc1

Yes I would change the fluid, its not like its expensive or hard to do. Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. As far as the leak goes, look to see if it is leaking where the two halves of the case bolt together. Thats a fairly common leak point for the NP208 and if it gets to the point where you can't stand it any longer you will have to pull the transfer case, split it, clean the mating surfaces and reseal it with a good sealant compound.

JamieM1009

Hey
my m1009 has developed a similar leak. I've only had a quick look but it appears to be coming from the front output shaft seal. Should be easy enough to fix and I don't think it takes long. I did notice that the rear one weeps a little bit so I'll do that as soon as I get chance.

o1951

Note - putting gear oil in transfer case is an old trick to quiet a noisey one needing repairs. Usually to sell to unsuspecting buyer.
When you flush it and put ATF back, you may find it is noisey. -? or someone made a mistake - drained ATF and did not notice was not gear oil??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks