• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A1 Spare Placement

Ty Robbins

I got my trailer and it's in really good shape. Eventually I will sandblast it and refinish it to deal with the surface rust, but there's no structural rust that I can find and it tows really well.

Spare and Parts.jpg Spare Mount on Trailer.jpg

I did get a correct M37 spare and mount and have a couple of questions:

• What's the correct placement for a spare on these trailers?
    • The one pic shows a possible placement on the right out-side of the trailer, but I am concerned that the thing would be getting too wide.
  • Looking at the parts I got, should there be a hub plate behind the spinner? If so anyone have any ideas where to find such a thing?
Thanks for the help!

Ty

Ty Robbins

Yeah, I've seen pics of one up there, but this mount I have can't be added there without welding a mounting plate between the A-arms - it requires a base for the bottom to bolt to. And I was thinking of putting a tool box up front...

Ty Robbins

put it where ever you want and what best works for you. Its your trailer.
I get that, but was looking for advice from people who have gone before me. None of the options are that great....

• Outside the bed on the sides, seems to make the whole rig too wide.
  • Inside the bed takes up a lot of cargo space.
  • Up front and I don't have a place for a tool box.
So any advice is appreciated.

Ty

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Nick

Mine mounts to the front and there is still room for a box, granted not a big box, but... One could fit. The only other problem wuld be the landing leg. If theres a box there, I wouldnt be able to flip it up. And I do have a plate going across the a-frame. I drilled four holes, tapped them and used bolts instead of welding the plate to the a-frame.

As for the locking plate, check Vintage Power Wagons, MidWest Military, or Snake River 4x4. All have them for around 40-50 bucks.

Nick

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had a 101 with the same mount on the front, the MONG put the bottom of the mount in a vise, bent it back 90 and attached it that way.