• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 axle gear ?

sweetk30

edit : post 4 more info from seller.

i have searched a bit here and olive-drab and all my years of info from civiilian trucks. but i got a guy who is selling a m1028 1987 year with 4.10 gears in 1 tons.

did they ever do this for the cucv trucks ? or was it possible swap out deal ?

what has me thinking swaped out is it has a tilt steering setup in it. and cucv i have seen are fixed .

the 4.10 would be better for the needs my friend wants it for but just want 100% info basicly to make informed decision. before we take a day and drive to buy it and come back with a crap box if it was avoidable.

as always guys thanks forthe help.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the M1028s had 4.56 gears. It's completely possible and highly probable that the entire rear axle was switched and that it no longer has the Detroit Locker. I would also look closely at the front axle. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a 3/4 ton front instead of the dana 60.

Chief_919

All of the M1028s had 4.56 gears. It's completely possible and highly probable that the entire rear axle was switched and that it no longer has the Detroit Locker. I would also look closely at the front axle. Wouldn't surprise me if it had a 3/4 ton front instead of the dana 60.
Yup.

I have seen more than a few where someone swapped the good axles out to their truck and sold the CUCv with 3/4 ton units.

sweetk30

i got ahold of him and he said he was tweeking the truck for more of a dd for him and he swaped in the tilt / and also scrapped a navy crewcab that had 4.10 gear axles and he swaped the front and then swaped the rear gears. so thats how its got 4.10's

said it still has detroit but for me i would pull cover n be 100% sure if he would let me. if i cant verify it via spinning tires by hand with rear axle jacked up.

waiting on few more pics i requested and mabye we can make a deal.

also its a stright 1028 and has 208 tcase still in it. oh well i was hopin for the a2 version with 205 tcase.

idM1028

M1028A2 and A3 were the dually trucks. M1028A1, A2 and M1031 are all pretty much the same thing and all of them have the 205 t-case. The dually trucks had a Dana 70 in the rear. The M1028A1 and M1031 had a 14-bolt. The only differences between the M1028A1 and the M1031 was the M1031 was a cab and chassis, although quite a few (like mine) were converted to M1028A1's by adding a bed.

jimmy-90

i know what a 60 and 14ff look like. thanks tho. just wasnt sure if thay started getting few with 4.10 near the end of the sale run to them ?
One thing I noticed about the front dana60 with a limited slip diff on the M1028's is that when you take the diff cover off it doesn't look like any other limited slip diff. It just looks like an open one. You have to look real closely at it to be able to tell. The easiest way to make sure is to jack the whole front of the truck up and see if both tires turn at the same time and try to make one stop.

Cucvnut

i know what a 60 and 14ff look like. thanks tho. just wasnt sure if thay started getting few with 4.10 near the end of the sale run to them ?
If you know so much maybe you should stay over in Ck5 land. All the Info you want is in the faq and the cucv wiki.[thumbzup]

sweetk30

you got a big internet ego there cucvnut

your the one starting crap. i asked a simple question and figured just mabye there were a few non posted bits of info that someone might just know.

do me a favor stay out of my threads and i will be more than happy to stay out of yours.

if the sides were switched i would have never treated you like this on my normal forum .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents, ease it down a bit. No need urinating on each other here. If you must urinate on each other, do it in the privacy of a PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks