• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Front dana 60 king pin kit question

Cucvnut

First put the axles on jack stands, and take the wheels off, you can repair the springs and plastic caps by just removing the king pin caps. you might need to use the floor jack to put the knuckles back in alignment. its not hard at all to change them out.

hannaganscr

I am thinking of doing the top and bottom. The reason is I am getting the death wobble symptom. Any way to tell if its the top or bottom that needs repaired? Thank for all your guys help BTW.. I just purchased my M1028 yesterday for $3000 with 71k on it with a new transfer case and tranny with a shift kit in it. The guy before me has replaced all bushings and tie rod ends as well as steering stabilizer shock. He had all documentation with the truck.

poppop

You might as well do a total rebuild while you are doing it. Mine was worn out all the way through. I think there are a couple styles, mine had screw in cone shaped king pins on top and there were a Bi***ch to get loose. We made a large allen wrench out of a bolt head that fit the top on mine and with much heat and a couple broken tools finally got them loose. Once that was done the rest was easy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top is easy. Probably will not need to change the steel pin. Be careful when you insert the nylon bushing, make sure the "key" is indexed correctly or you will shear it right of when you insert it/

The lower is easy too, just need to knock the plug out to drive the outer race out.

hannaganscr

Well I got the kit for the top on its way. I am going to see if that solves the problem then see if I need to order the kit for the bottom side.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rather than do the work twice, I would do both at once.

My truck only had 40000 miles on it and mine needed replacement. No wobble, just play at the bottom at steering lock.

HillbillyWizard

We've done kingpins more times than I can count. 99% of the time I replace everything. Sometimes the kingpin itself is fine. Overall, it's not a difficult job to do.

hannaganscr

Well I am going to try to get it in a heated shop today as its -30 wind chill today. I am thinking of doing a video of the repair. As there are none that I have found on the internet. I sure hope this fixes my DEATH WOBBLE issue.

hannaganscr

Ok so the video didn't work out cause I didn't have anyone to hold the cam and I had to do it in a garage in the bitter cold. The process was easier than I thought. HOWEVER my symptoms are still there. Sometimes not always I get the death wobble symptom when I hit the brakes and it don't ever happen under 35 mph. The next step is to replace brake rotors pads and calipers and rubber brake lines incase of an internal collapse. I am also going to replace the bearings and races. I talked to my wifes uncle who is ASE certified in every area you can be. He said its possible that I have caliper hanging at random. I have replaced all bushings tie rod ends and alignment also new stabilizer shock. I have also checked play in the steering box and made sure the bolts to the frame are tight as well. Not sure at this point what else I can do?

Last edited:

hannaganscr

I did take it off road with my stepson and one of his friends. It was a good frustration release. My stepson has an F150 and his friend had a dodge. I have to say im very impressed with this truck off road so far...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks