• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 driveshaft length?

Mark3395

Well, somebody forlifted the contact truck I picked up and the driveshaft is bent. A fellow MVPA member in town had the same problem and had his driveshaft repaired with a new tube.

My question is: how long is the driveshaft? I'd like to have the repair made, but verify the length is correct.

Any body had luck with such an operation?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the shaft in and have it rebuilt, that's the best solution.

And, don't you know you're supposed to post pictures of your new ride?

Cucvnut

my M1008's drive shaft is 58 inches from center of one u joint to the other u joint. if you have the NP205 is might be a diff lenght

Mark3395

Per instructions from the machine shop we inserted the driveshaft fully into the tranny, backed it out an inch, then measured estimated centers of u joints. Came up with 57 1/8.

Don't know what tranny I have... it doesn't have a pto.

Is the 1008 shaft the same as the 1031?

Cucvnut

since its the same length you might have a NP208 transfercase same as my M1008. so you might have the same set up i have.

acmunro

Mark3395 - I'm thinking if you are talking about the truck you just got it has the turbo 400 transmission and the NP205 transfer case. In this case your NP205 doesn't have the PTO box on the side. That should not make any difference in the rear driveshaft length anyway. The NP208 is aluminum construction. The NP205 is cast iron. Also the NP205 transfer case shifter is strait up and down when the truck is in two wheel drive. The NP208 transfer case shifter is angled to the front of the cab when in two wheel drive.

I always thought the NP205 used a longer drive shaft than trucks with the NP208. I can measure both and post in a little bit.

Mark3395

Thanks much. They were going to start cutting tube today, but I'll hold the machine shop off for now. I was going to head down and lay the tube down and measure along the "side" and turn the corner... just to verify the reading my guys got.

I appreciate your help.

And thanks for the info freek.

Next issue will be getting the Wisconsin engine running to power up the generator.

mark

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my M1008's drive shaft is 58 inches from center of one u joint to the other u joint. if you have the NP205 is might be a diff lenght
? beg to differ with you on that 58". My M1008 is more like 54" with a NP208, both my M1031 and K30 civilian are 57 3/4" longest point to longest point on the drive shafts, this is a truck with a NP205, and BOTH have the side cover for the PTO.

Mark3395

Thanks everybody... this has been educational. I've passed AC's info to the machine shop and get to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Now I gotta figure how to start the Wisconsin engine. I think it'll need to be replaced.

Mark

Mark3395

GM, I don't understand your term..."Longest point to longest point on the drive shafts"

The machine shop had me seek the distance center to center of the U joint ends... with the tranny splines one inch from fully in. By our measure that came to 57 1/8. 57 3/8 is within a reasonable range.

I sure hope it works... because that's what I'm picking up in the morning. If it's wrong I'll havce the tube cut/spliced as needed.

Cucvnut

Well its fixed the drive line shop guy hooked me up for 160 bucks he added a half and inch ( he said the yoke seemed a little short ) and new spicer u joints. ill get pictures of it tomorrow when i pick it up

Mark3395

My guys measured 57 1/8, which I figured was odd but went with it. I installed it this afternoon and so far it works fine. The truck has startlingly low mileage and the engine sounds great. My helper put half the needed ATF in the tranny so it didn't move... until I put in another gallon. Still figure it a quart low.

Engine sounds great, and it drives nice. I think the mission is accomplished.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks